OpenText Web Site Management (formerly Reddot) is the Web content management tool that Winona State uses to maintain the official university website at www.winona.edu. Although OpenText is the name of the company and Web Site Management is the name of the tool, we simply refer to this tool as "OpenText." It is a browser-based tool that allows people responsible for managing their department's content on www.winona.edu to:
- Create new pages using preset, centrally-controlled templates
- Edit existing pages using Internet Explorer or Firefox browser that does not require an understanding of HTML or other programming languages
- Save changes in draft form and publish them to the live site directly when ready
- Manage a shared library of reusable content
Login and Project Selection Process
- The OpenText login address is https://cms1.winona.edu/cms. Use your WSU username and password to log into OpenText. Once logged in, you can select the project or site with which you would like to work.
- Login and Project selection steps
- Homepage Tab - The Homepage can be checked to see if there are any pages saved as Draft or waiting for Release for publishing. Remember to refresh your page to see all items.
- SmartEdit Tab - Select and edit pages in your site by simply browsing to them and clicking the appropriate "red dot."
- Tasks Tab - Accomplish common tasks, such as releasing pages and submitting them to workflow.
- Search Tab - Define and save page searches that will help you find the pages you need to edit quickly.
- Publishing Pages - How to publish a page.
- How to Change the File Name (URL) - Learn how to change the filename of the page, which will be the URL to the webpage.
- Open Page in New Window - Off-site URLs should open in a new windows in order to maintain the web user's connection to the WSU site.
- Add Breadcrumb to a Page - Maintain a correct list of links for people to navigate back with.
- Image Sizing - Learn how to size images before you upload them to the webserver.
- Cleanup of Old Pages - Procedures to follow to get rid of old pages.
- OpenText/Add Images - Add images using the template dots or to the content area.
- Telerik - The HTML editor used by OpenText
Website Managers Learning Community
The Website Managers Learning Community website contains resources from both the Web Communications and TLT department. This site contains links helpful resources for maintaining your website in one place.
Website Standards & Best Practices
The Communications department can help you with questions that have to do with site organization, navigation and overall best practices for content. The Web Standards & Best Practices Guide can also help you.
- Right-click (PC) and control-click (Mac) now brings up useful, context-sensitive menus with access to common tasks, saving you considerable time.
Training Materials and Resources
- Web2010 Content Guidelines and Best Practices
- Editing Existing Pages in OpenText
- Creating New Pages in OpenText
- Preparing Images for OpenText
- Create an Accordian in OpenText
- Add Videos to OpenText pages
- Add Sets of Pictures to OpenText pages
- Link to Password Protected Information
Scheduled Group Workshops
- Go to the TLT Professional Learning Opportunities Calendar to register for an upcoming workshop.
- TLT would be happy to schedule a custom workshop for you or your team. Contact TLT for more information.