OpenText Web Site Management (formerly Reddot) is the Web content management tool that Winona State uses to maintain the official university site at www.winona.edu. Although OpenText is the name of the company and Web Site Management is the name of the tool, we simply refer to this tool as "OpenText." It is a browser-based tool that allows people responsible for managing their department's content on www.winona.edu to:
- Create new pages using preset, centrally-controlled templates
- Edit existing pages using their favorite Web browser and a friendly interface that does not require an understanding of HTML or other programming languages
- Save changes in draft form and publish them to the live site directly when ready
- Manage a shared library of reusable content
Website Managers Learning Community
To learn more about the overall process of creating and maintaining a WSU website, you can also view information on the Website Managers Learning Community website.
Website Standards & Best Practices
The Communications department can help you with questions that have to do with site organization, navigation and overall best practices for content. The Web Standards & Best Practices Guide can also help you.
Login and Project Selection Process
- The OpenText login address is https://cms1.winona.edu/cms. Use your WSU username and password to log into OpenText. Once logged in, you can select the project or site with which you would like to work.
- Login and Project selection steps
Tab-based User Interface
- Homepage Tab - A useful dashboard lists draft pages and pages that need to be released, as well as the results of page searches that you can define and save.
- SmartEdit Tab - Select and edit pages in your site by simply browsing to them and clicking the appropriate "red dot."
- Tasks Tab - Accomplish common tasks, such as releasing pages and submitting them to workflow.
- Search Tab - Define and save page searches that will help you find the pages you need to edit quickly.
- Publishing Pages - How to publish a page.
- URL to Page - Learn how to change the filename of the page, which will be the URL to the webpage.
- Open Page in New Window - Off-site URLs should open in a new windows in order to maintain the web user's connection to the WSU site.
- Add Breadcrumb to a Page - Maintain a correct list of links for people to navigate back with.
- Image Sizing - Learn how to size images before you upload them to the webserver.
- Cleanup of Old Pages - Procedures to follow to get rid of old pages.
- Telerik - The HTML editor used by OpenText
- Right-click (PC) and control-click (Mac) now brings up useful, context-sensitive menus with access to common tasks, saving you considerable time.
Scheduled Group Workshops
- Go to the TLT Professional Learning Opportunities Calendar to register for an upcoming workshop.
- Multiple sessions of the new OpenText Upgrade - New Features workshop are now open.
- TLT would be happy to schedule a custom workshop for your team or department. Contact TLT for more information.