WSU Technology Knowledge Base
From WSU Technology Knowledge Base
Student's Top Questions
Tip of the Month: Microsoft SkyDrive for Students
|WSU & Office 365
|This article is part of the
Office 365 Guide
About this article
This article provides an overview of Microsoft's OneDrive for Business (formerly known as SkyDrive Pro) cloud storage service. It is intended for both students and employees.
What's OneDrive for Business?
Microsoft OneDrive for Business is an industrial-strength, business-class file storage and management service built on Microsoft's SharePoint technology. OneDrive for Business provides you with 1 TB of space in the cloud, a geeky way of saying that your files are stored off campus on a Microsoft file server that you can access via the Internet. OneDrive for Business is an important component of Microsoft's new vision for business productivity and collaboration, anchored by their web services: Office 365 and SharePoint Online. Every WSU student and employee has a OneDrive for Business. Whether you decide to use it or not is entirely up to you.
Additional OneDrive for Business features
- All OneDrive for Business network servers are located in the continental United States
- Integrated with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2013 (e.g., shows up on your device as a location to which you can save files)
- Upload and access many common file types from multiple devices using your favorite web browser
- Organize your cloud storage using your own folder structure
- Share files and folders with others at WSU and beyond
- Sync your cloud files and folders to your Windows computer (Mac OS X synchronization coming soon)
- iOS tablet apps for viewing, editing, and uploading your files
Learn how to use OneDrive for Business
Co-Authoring in OneDrive
Featured Tool: Adobe Fireworks
Adobe Fireworks is a graphic design tool that really focuses on the preparation of images for use on the Web. Less complex than Adobe Photoshop, it is a great tool for developing Web-ready graphics quickly. It can also be very helpful for developing Web pages and interactive Web content. You can:
- Rapidly prototype web pages
- Create and optimize interactive images (e.g., image maps, rollovers) for the web quickly and accurately
- Export a clickable prototype of a page as an interactive PDF file, so you can easily collect comments from reviewers and demo your designs
Geek Speak 101: VPN
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. Using the Cisco VPN client software, you can connect a WSU laptop to the WSU network from off campus. This software is already installed on all WSU laptops. A VPN connection enables you to access select network resources as if you were on campus connected to our network directly. This includes:
|From the full article: VPN
Knowledge Base News
- 12/11/13 - This year we have added many new articles and have received very positive feedback from the WSU community regarding our new and improved Technology Knowledge Base. Thank you everyone for your comments and contributions. Please continue to email any comments or suggestions that you have to us. We appreciate your feedback.
- 4/12/12 - Welcome to the new and improved Technology Knowledge Base at learn.winona.edu! After a year of pilot testing the MediaWiki tool, we established a production version of the knowledge base over the semester break and just finished moving all of our content from the testing site to this new, permanent site. We are still cleaning up a few things, but the new knowledge base is now open for business. Please email to let us know what you think.