Bookmarks on the iPad
WSU students and faculty interested in creating browser bookmarks on their iOS device or synching their bookmarks between their laptops and their iOS devices.
In this section, we will discuss how to create bookmarks in the Safari browser on the iPad as well as how to sync bookmarks between the laptop and the iPad.
Creating a Bookmark in Safari on the iPad
- Begin by navigating to the page you wish to bookmark. While on that page, click on the icon shown in the toolbar below.
- From the dropdown selection box, choose Bookmark.
- Set the text to be displayed as the name of the bookmark. By default, the name is set to the title of the page but it can be set to anything you like. (See the image below.) Do not change the URL, this is the address the bookmark points to. Changing this will cause the bookmark to point elsewhere.
The final entry in the box shows where the bookmark will be stored in your bookmark tree. You can click on the field and select a new location for the bookmark.
Synching Bookmarks Between the iPad and Your Laptop
Safari on the iPad and the Mac
Safari is the native browser on the iPads and on the Macs. If you use Safari as your go-to browser, syncing your bookmarks between devices is quick and easy. (Before you begin, be sure you have logged into both devices with the same Apple ID.)
- Open the System Preferences on your Mac and go to the iCloud preferences. Be sure Safari is checked.
- On the iPad, open the Settings application and select iCloud. Be sure Safari is selected in the list of applications.
Done. Your bookmarks will automatically sync.
Chrome on the iPad and the laptop
Don't want to use Safari on the iPad? Google offers the Google Chrome browser on both the laptop and the iPad.
- Install Chrome on both the laptop and the iPad. Chrome for the laptop is available from Google's web site.You can download Chrome for the iPad from the App Store.
- Open Chrome on the laptop and click the hamburger at the top right. (The three horizontal line.) Click Settings from the drop-down menu. If you are not currently logged into Chrome with your Google account, click Sign into Chrome and log into the browser. (You will need a Google account to log in. If you do not have one, you can create a free one by clicking "Create a Google Account" on the login page.)
- Open Chrome on the iPad. Click on the icon with the three vertical dots at the top right. Select Settings and log into Chrome using the same Google account as above. Your bookmarks will sync.
You can view the bookmarks in Google Chrome by clicking the same icon with the three horizontal bars and selecting Bookmarks. (See the image at right.)
Safari on the iPad and Anything On a PC
If you are using Safari on the iPad and a different browser on your PC, Apple supplies a quick way to sync your bookmarks.
- Download iCloud Control Panel on your PC and install it.
- Launch the iCloud Control Panel and log into it with your Apple ID. (Be sure it is the same one you used on your iPad.)
- Select the browser you wish to sync with.
Your bookmarks will be automatically synced between browser.