Brightspace grade book quick guide
Use this Brightspace grade book quick guide if you have never used this tool before, use a points-based grading method, just want to add some columns to your grade book, and enter grades into those columns by hand, all in the fewest number of clicks possible, If you have more complex grading needs and requirements, review the linked articles.
Open your grade book
- Log in to Brightspace and open your course
- Select Grades from the Assessments menu
- Select the Enter Grades tab. This will display your grade book as a spreadsheet, with your students as rows and two default columns under the Final Grades category: Final Calculated Grades and Final Adjusted Grades.
To create a grade book in Brightspace follow the steps below:
- On the navbar, click
- Choose the Manage Grades tab (See A in Figure 1) at the top of the Grades page and choose the New button and select Item.
- Select Numeric.
- Name the Item you wish to have in your grade book.
- Within the Grading section of this page set the points you would like for this item.
- Choose the Grade Scheme, your options are by default Percentage or Basic Grade Range (i.e. A, B, C, D, & F).
- Under the Display Options section you can choose to Override Display Options for this item and then choose to show Points for both the Student View and Manager View (i.e. Faculty View).
- Click Save & Close if you are done adding items to your grade book or choose Save & New if you would like to add more items to your grade book.
- Once you have all the items in your grade book you will need to switch to the Enter Grades tab (See B in Figure 1) at the top of this page and you will see grade items listed in columns across the page and your student names will go down the first column.
Many who are surprised how easy this process is set up their grade book want to learn how to enter grades. The Enter grades in your Brightspace grade book manually article covers this process.
For a complete listing of topics, select from the category list below.
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.