CHIN 101-201-202 Chinese - Zhang
About This Article
This article describes how mobile computing, specifically tablets, was piloted in Professor Weidong Zhang's CHIN 101 Beginning Chinese I, CHIN 201 Intermediate Chinese I, and CHIN 202 Intermediate Chinese II to transform teaching and learning.
WSU instructors interested in past faculty experience with tablet devices in the classroom.
Spring and Fall 2013 iPad Pilot
Students in these courses had access to an iPad tablet to use throughout the semester along with several apps selected by Professor Zhang for use in class.
How the iPads are Used in CHIN 101/201/202
Students in Chinese 101, 201, and 202 used their iPads primarily outside of the classroom to do exercises, assignments, and homework. By employing the various language applications on the iPad, students were able to record their voices and compare their pronunciation to pronunciations in the apps, practice drawing the character set, read news articles from Chinese newspapers, and advance their vocabulary.
Professor Zhang expected the following outcomes from this pilot:
- Determine how technology enhances student learning. Besides the obvious outcomes of improved penmanship/symbol creation and increased vocabulary and pronunciation skills, Professor Zhang hoped to determine how student learning changed due to the addition of technology.
Changes in the classroom
- Students could study anywhere. The portability of the iPads allowed students to take their work with them and learn outside of the classroom and away from the instructor.
- Learning became more interactive. Because the applications support recording, listening, practicing, and collaborating, adding the tablets to the curriculum increased interactivity and engagement.
- The students have a need for useful applications. The challenge here is looking through the sea of language applications in the App Store and finding the best applications for the money.
iPad Applications Employed in CHIN 101/201/202
Professor Zhang used the following applications in his iPad pilot:
- HSK 1 Vocab
Descriptions, pricing, and links to iTunes for each of these applications is available on the iPad Pilot Applications page.
Related Wiki Topics
- Faculty Starter Application Set
- Tablet Pilots
- SPED 414 and SPED 415 - Danneker
- EDUC 335 and SPED 425 - Reap Danneker
- BIOL 211-212 Anatomy and Physiology - Hiddinga
- BIOL 310 Genetics - Hiddinga
- MKTG 365 Advanced Professional Selling - Collins
- Wellness Exchange
- CS 275 Mathematical Foundations of Algorithms - Gegg-Harrison
- College Bound