Collaborating with Online Rooms
WSU instructors using D2L or those interested in using this it in the future.
Using Online Rooms
The Online Rooms tool allows the professor to create Adobe Connect rooms within a D2L Brightspace course. Online Rooms can be inserted into the Content area of the course, just like any other content type, granting faculty and student access to the room without having to leave Brightspace. These rooms can be used in any way the professor selects, including:
- Large-group discussions
- Small-group work
- Live lectures and demonstrations
- Office hours
- One-on-one meetings with students
Things to remember
When using the Online Rooms tool, please keep the following in mind:
- Rooms created through the Online Rooms tool are only available within the course in which they were created. If the professor desires, for example, an office-hours room that services all courses at one time, it must be created within Adobe Connect as before.
- Students do not need to create Adobe Connect accounts to access Online Rooms. Access is granted through D2L Brightspace.
- The professor can elevate student roles within the Adobe Connect room making them presenters or hosts of the room.
Creating and joining Online Rooms
Full instructions for creating and joining Online Rooms can be found on
Some valuable hints:
- The above instructions are for Adobe Connect and WebEx rooms. WSU does not pay for a WebEx license, so Adobe Connect will be your only choice within the Online Rooms tool. In spite of this, the instructions are still pertinent to creating and using Online Rooms at WSU.
- You will only need to create one Online Rooms account for all of your courses but you will create separate rooms in each course.
- When creating the room, you will be asked whether this is a Restricted Room or a Public Room.
- Restricted Rooms are only open to students that you invite, for example in small-group-work situations or private meetings with a single student.
- Public Rooms are open to all students in the class.
For a complete listing of topics, select from the category list below.