Your new HP Elitebook
About this article
This article provides information to help you get familiar with your new HP Elitebook x360 G2. There are also steps on common features you may need to do to get work functional. It is intended for all students and employees participating in the E-Warrior Digital Life and Learning Program.
Frequently asked questions
Why do you have to configure my laptop? Where are all my software applications? Where can you get help? If you have questions, check our Frequently Asked Questions article for answers.
Set up and get to know your new PC
After your laptop distribution session, you will need to make a few configurations to be work functional.
Everyone - Review New Features
Everyone - Review Hardware
- HP EliteBook X360 G2 Overview
- Review the hardware features of your new HP Elitebook X360
- HP EliteBook X360 G2 keyboard
- Getting the most out of your laptop battery
Everyone - Get to know your Operating System
Everyone - Get to know the Start Menu
Important Tiles on the WSU configured Start Menu:
- PrintersFaculty - easily install your printers
- CisoAnyConnect - Start your VPN session
- WSU Technology? - This will take you to WSU Technology Knowledge Base
- D2L Brightspace - start your D2L session here
- Click to Map Drives - use this if you cannot see your network drives. Sometimes when you walk from building to building the drive mappings need to be reset. Also, use this when you are off-campus and want to get to your network drives. Remember that you need to first VPN when off-campus.
- OneDrive for Business - get to the link to start OneDrive under the Employee section.
- Lynda - Create your Lynda account here and then login to your account at http://www.lynda.com
- Windows 10 New Features - this is a link to Lynda content on Windows 10. You will need your Lynda account setup to view.
- Configure your Start Menu - Microsoft video on Start Menu
Everyone - Customize your taskbar
To add an icon to your taskbar, go to the Start Menu or All Apps to find the program you want to Pin to your Taskbar. Do a right-click on the icon and select More > Pin to taskbar.
Everyone - Adding software
The following items cover what software is pre-loaded on your laptop and how to find the additional software you may wish to use as a part of the E-Warrior Digital Life and Learning Program.
- Pre-loaded software on HP EliteBook 840 G3. You can check this list before loading any new software to the laptop.
- Installing software from the network. Many unique or discipline-specific software applications can be installed on your laptop (e.g. Adobe Acrobat XI Pro, Inspiration, Maple, Mathematica, SPSS).
Everyone - File Storage
The HP Elitebook 840 G3 has a 256 GB hard drive. Since hard drives crash and can get viruses, it is best practice to only store data on the hard drive that you can do without if your system crashed. The use of network and cloud storage is recommended because it is backed up nightly.
- OneDrive for Business is cloud-based storage for employees and students.
- Local network storage refers to space, on networked servers located on the Winona campus and administered by WSU staff, reserved for employees to use to store their files.
- Course1 Map to your Course1 information.
Optional - Installing Printers
Locating the networked or personal printer you wish to use can be found in the following two items.
Optional - Connecting to the network from off campus
To access WSU network drives, printers and software that runs on the KeyServer you must establish a virtual private network (VPN) connection. We use Cisco AnyConnect to connect to the WSU network from off campus.
The network drives require running the Map network drive script after you have connected via VPN.
Optional - Digital Security
Addressing security threats and managing risk is a vital part of our eWarrior program and extensive documentation can be found here to educate yourself on the many measures that can be taken to prevent data breaches or spread of harmful viruses and malware.
- Information Security siteWSU's digital security information and policies that are pertinent to WSU employees.
- Know where to store your data. This site that explains the different types of data you may have access to and the appropriate spaces where each type should be stored.
- Know your data. This link takes you directly to our site on governing laws and policies that relate to data.
- What is Private Data? This article provides a quick summary of private data and how employees should protect this information.
- What is Malware? This article on malware is intended to provide you answers to this question and ways for you to prevent it from infecting your laptop.
- What is Phishing? Another important topic to read up on so you can prevent your data from becoming exposed by phishing.
- Locking your laptop screen is one security measure everyone is guilty of forgetting to do. Remember: The easy way to lock your laptop is with the Windows key + L.
- Using the KeePass Program to easily store your passwords in an encrypted database.
- Take a workshop on Digital Security. These workshops are offered each semester, but if there are no workshops listed, you can Request a Workshop.
If you installed any unsupported software for school or personal use such as a password vault, a citation manager (e.g., EndNote, Reference Manager), a tax preparation tool (e.g., TurboTax), or photo gallery software, back up any related files you wish to retain. Consult your documentation to determine the location and format of these files. TLT (email@example.com, 507-457-5240 Option #3, Maxwell Hall 130) will provide limited support if you have questions, but your first line of support is the vendor.
How to get additional training
Workshops and 1:1's
Students can stop in at Somsen 207 for DLC STAR support.
Need help with software, try Lynda online tutorials. A Lynda account you will have access to over 2000 videos you can view anytime on your laptop or iPad. Learn how to create your account profile by going to Lynda for instructions. Once your account is created, you can login into lynda.com.