DLC Fall 2019 Class Projects/Penny Warner Video with Kaltura Capture
This project is designed to help students within Professor Warner's course to record components for your project. In this resource you will learn all about the tool we will be using Kaltura Capture to record and share your presentations in discussion board posts. The steps involved to complete your recording with Kaltura Capture are provided below.
Downloading Kaltura Capture
To access the Kaltura Capture you will need to follow the steps provided below.
- Use your favorite web browser to log into your MediaSpace account at mediaspace.minnstate.edu using your Star ID username and password. This will take you to your My Media page.
- Select Kaltura Capture from the Add New menu.
- Two options for downloading Kaltura Capture will be listed (PC and Mac) and after clicking on the appropriate version you will be asked to install the software vide setup wizard.
- Once you have installed the recorder, you will need to restart your browser and log back into MediaSpace and launch the Kaltura Capture recording tool.
Recording with Kaltura Capture
1.) Go to http://mediaspace.minnstate.edu/ and login with your STAR ID.
2.) Select Add New in the top right corner and select Kaltura Capture from the dropdown. This will launch the desktop recorder.
3.) The recorder displays 3 icons for recording options. Select the Screen icon to turn off the screen capture. This will record your web camera and audio-only. Next, select the Red Record Button to start the recording.
4.) Once launched, a small screen will appear and your camera will start. You will have a three-second countdown in the center of the screen, once the countdown is done, you are recording.
5.) If during your recording you need to pause, select the Pause button from the control panel. You can also select Cancel Recording and start over if needed. When you are done recording, select Stop Recording from the control panel
6.) This will stop the recording. Select the stop button again and select "Yes, stop it" from the pop-up.
7.) Next title your video and select Save & Upload. This will store the video in your MediaSpace account.
8.) Once the process is completed, you can select the link below your video to go into MediaSpace to view your recording. It may take a few minutes for your video to appear in MediaSpace. (If it has been more than 5 minutes and your video has not appeared in MediaSpace, try refreshing your page or logging back in.)
CaptureSpace Editing Tool
Once you are done with your video you may wish to edit out during your setup time or trim off content at the end of your recording. This video walks you though the process of utilizing the Editing Tool.
Embedding a MediaSpace video file a Brightspace Discussion Topic
If you have not already uploaded your video to MediaSpace you will need to do so. Go to Upload a media file to MediaSpace. Once your video is posted there and finished processing you can begin to post it to a Brightspace Discussion Topic.
1. Go to the Discussion area of your Brightspace course and choose the Forum and Topic you would like to post your video link to.
2. Within the Discussion post, select the Start a New Thread or Reply to Thread buttons depending on your instructors' directions.
5. You should see all your videos load and can choose the one you are going to use by choosing the Select button and hit "Next" button in the lower-left corner. Note:If you do not see your videos you may have your browser blocking pop-ups to this site and need to adjust this setting.
6. Click on the Insert button the one you want to have in your Thread.
7. Click the Post button and you are done.
Additional Kaltura Capture Resources
- The following articles include more information about using MediaSpace tools:
- A quick tour of the My Media page
- How to upload files with the Media Upload tool
- How to create an interactive video quiz
- How to add closed captions to your recordings
- How to add MediaSpace recordings to Brightspace courses
- How to schedule media availability
- How to collaborate in MediaSpace
- How to build a playlist
- How to create and manage a channel
- How to tell whether people are playing your recordings
- Phone: 507-457-5167
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office: Krueger Library #104
- Phone: 507-457-2206
- Email: email@example.com
- 1:1 Support: Krueger Library #105