Draft:BIOL 445 Immunology - Bates
This article describes how students use technology in Dr. Kimberly Bates' BIOL 445 - Immunology course and includes links to corresponding instructions. It is primarily intended for students who are currently enrolled in the course.
Concept Mapping Project
In this course, students work in groups to produce a large concept map using a tool called Inspiration. Students will need to install Inspiration, learn how to use it, create their concept map, and present it to the rest of the class.
Getting Started With Inspiration
Step 1: Install Inspiration
- Follow the instructions provided for Installing Inspiration
- Note: Inspiration is under key server control. When installing and using Inspiration, students must be either on campus or connected via [VPN].
Step 2: Learn the basics
Step 3: Create your concept map
- Coming soon
Students will be using a web conferencing tool called Adobe Connect to share their concept maps.Dr. Bates will set up an Adobe Connect virtual meeting room for the group projects. Adobe Connect is a virtual conferencing tool which will allow meeting participants and presenters screen share, chat, video and audio conference, use interactive whiteboards as well as other features. Using Adobe Connect you will be able to meet with your group to work on your project without having to email the document back and forth to your group members. Dr. Bates will share with you the URL for the meeting one was it has been created. It is recommended to use earbuds or a headset when meeting in the Connect room. To prepare for using Adobe Connect, please review the following information:
- Learn about Adobe Connect: This wiki page has been created for WSU students and serves as a checklist of features you will use in an Adobe Connect room.
- You Tube Tutorial : This 9 minute video tutorial is for hosts, presenters, and participants. The first 1:20 of the video is geared for hosts, so if you are participating in the Connect room you can move past that segment of the tutorial.
- Click Here to install the add-in and prepare your computer prior to your first Adobe Connect Meeting.
To allow others in your group to view your screen (or your Inspiration document) follow one of the two options:
- Option A: From the Share pod: Select Share > My Computer Screen > Desktop
- Option B: From the Share pod: Select Share > My Computer Screen > Applications This option only works if open the Inspiration document prior to starting the screen sharing process.
A new feature of Inspriation 9.0 is exporting to a presentation or taking a snapshot for a presentation. These features allow you to capture specific segments of your mind map and organize the segments for a presentation.