About This Article
This article includes an overview of the LinkedIn Learning online learning service offered through Winona State University. It is intended for all students and employees.
What's LinkedIn Learning?
LinkedIn Learning is an online learning platform licensed by WSU that provides access to thousands of courses led by professional instructors. These courses are composed of short videos that cover a wide variety of topics to help you develop creative, technical, and business skills. Every WSU student and employee can use this resource for free. Your usage history is saved, you can bookmark favorite courses and videos, and you can create playlists or collections for future reference. Course completion is recognized using certificates and badges that can be downloaded and shared on social media.
Why use LinkedIn Learning?
- Learn what you need when you need it. Similar to YouTube, LinkedIn Learning provides continuous, self-service access to videos via multiple devices. Find answers to specific training and professional development questions when you need them most. Watch videos at home or on the go, online or offline.
- Document and share your skills. After you have finished a LinkedIn Learning course, that achievement is documented within the application. Download a certificate of completion and share a digital badge on social media and through your online resume where current or future employers can identify your skills and professional interests.
- Educate others. Build collections of LinkedIn Learning courses and videos, share them your students or colleagues, and monitor their progress. Instructors might consider using LinkedIn Learning collections as required or optional course resources, perhaps taking the place of an expensive textbook.
Using LinkedIn Learning Content in your Courses
If you are a faculty member that previously had assigned playlist in Lynda.com and would like to access these in LiL, contact TLT@winona.edu.
Learning Paths, Collections, Courses or videos can all be shared with students via a link. They can also be shared using a Group that is populated with a list of students that you want to Recommend content to. The use of Groups requires admin permissions, so if you are interested in using Groups, please contact TLT@winona.edu to get your account upgraded.
LinkedIn Learning for Admins
LinkedInLearning for Admins article describes common steps a faculty member will use to add LiL content into their courses.
How to activate your new LinkedIn Learning Profile?
Before you can start using LinkedIn Learning you will need to activate your account. This is for new users to the system and for users that used to have a Lynda.com account.
Activating your LinkedIn Learning account article explains the process of signing into this system.
Common Functions Learners may want to do
URL to use for LinkedIn Learning: https://www.linkedin.com/learning Remember to select Sign in with your organization account when you sign in.
- LinkedIn Learning Navigation
- Searching for LinkedIn Learning Courses or Subjects
- Creating Learning Collections Collections are an easy to way to organize courses and videos you would like to review later.
- Managing Learning Collections as a Learner
What's the difference between LinkedIn Learning and LinkedIn?
LinkedIn Learning is a library of online courses licensed by WSU. LinkedIn is a personal online resume service and professional networking tool. Both are owned by Microsoft and can be integrated if you wish.
Do I need a LinkedIn account to use LinkedIn Learning?
No. If you have a LinkedIn account, you can choose to connect the two, but LinkedIn Learning is a standalone service that can be used effectively without any connection to LinkedIn.
Why would I connect my LinkedIn and LinkedIn Learning accounts?
Doing so has some benefits currently and the value of the integration is likely to improve over time. Currently, you receive LinkedIn Learning course recommendations based on your LinkedIn profile and you can switch from one to the other seamlessly.
Must I connect my LinkedIn account now or can I do it later?
You can connect the two at any time.
If I connect my LinkedIn and LinkedIn Learning accounts, what username and password do I use?
After you have activated your WSU LinkedIn Learning account and connected it to your LinkedIn account, you will use your personal LinkedIn username and password to log into your LinkedIn Learning account from that point forward.
If I connect my LinkedIn and LinkedIn Learning accounts, can I disconnect them?
Yes, but it requires submitting a ticket to LinkedIn technical support. You cannot disconnect the two yourself.
Will I still be able to use my Lynda.com account?
No, your Lynda account will no longer be accessible once you have migrated to LinkedIn Learning. Please remember that you can access the same video content as before. Of course, your activity and your progress will also transfer over. For more information on the upgrade of Lynda to LinkedIn Learning. Want to see why LinkedIn Learning is an upgrade from Lynda.com? check this page out.
Will my progress from Lynda.com carry over to LinkedIn Learning?
Yes, your account information and course progression will transfer over to LinkedIn Learning. Your video history will also be the same, so you can pick up where you left off. Note: Faculty that had assigned playlists in Lynda.com should contact TLT@winona.edu to have these restore these to LiL.
Why do I have to login with my LinkedIn credentials every time?
If you connected your LinkedIn account with your LinkedIn Learning account, you will be prompted to login using your LinkedIn credentials. This is to protect member privacy, so that no personal profile information is shared with your WSU LinkedIn Learning account. Note that your browser cache may keep the credentials for you so that you may not have to re-authenticate each time.
Why do I have to re-authenticate?
If you have not used LinkedIn Learning for more than 30 days, your browser cookie my have refreshed and you will need to re-authenticate. Another reason may be that you are using a different browser or computer.
Need more help?
If you have more questions or concerns regarding LinkedIn Learning, please do the following:
- Contact TLT (email@example.com, 507-457-5240 Option #3, Maxwell Hall 130).
- Contact the Technical Support Center (AskTech@winona.edu, 507-457-5240, Somsen Hall 207).
- Contact LinkedIn directly at 1-(888)-335-9632, submit an online help ticket from the Contact Us page, or review guides at LinkedIn Learning Help.
- Activating your LinkedIn Learning account
- Integrating LinkedIn Learning with LinkedIn
- Accessing LinkedIn Learning on a phone or tablet
- Documenting and sharing your LinkedIn Learning achievements
- LinkedIn Learning Help System
- Searching for LinkedIn Learning Courses or Subjects
- LinkedInLearning for Admins