Emailing from the D2L Email tool
About this article
This article includes instructions for sending email messages to students in specific courses from within D2L. It is intended for instructors.
Things to remember
Instructors can send email to their students from D2L using a built-in email editor. When sending email from D2L, please keep the following in mind:
- You can send email from D2L, but D2L does not receive email. If a student replies to an email message that you sent from D2L, that reply will go to your WSU mailbox.
- All messages you send to students will go to their WSU email address. There is no way to change that address to another email service (e.g., gmail, hotmail). Students must make a habit of checking their WSU email daily for important messages from instructors.
Instructions for using D2L Email tool
Complete the following steps to email students using the D2L Email Tool.
- Under Communication, select Email.
- Add the addressees to the To field. This can be done by either
- typing in the email addresses of each recipient or
- clicking on the Address Book button at the top right of the window and selecting the addressees from the list.
- You can select individuals from the list by clicking the checkboxes to the left of their names.
- You can select the entire class by clicking the checkbox next to the To Cc Bcc just below the Search field in the window. One word of caution: clicking the checkbox to select all students will only select the addressees that are listed in the window. If there are more students that what appear in the list, change the number displayed per page at the right side of the window to be large enough to include all students.
- Enter the Subject and content in the Body of the message.
- Add any attachments to the message. Attachments can be found in the bottom left corner of the screen. Attachments can be in the form of uploaded files or audio recordings.
- Click Send in the top left corner of the window.
For a complete listing of topics, select from the category list below.