How to change a StarID password
Your Minnesota State StarID is a unique username and password that you use to login to certain Minnesota State network resources and all current WSU services such as your WSU e-mail, D2L Brightspace, OnTheHub, E-services, Web Printing, etc.
Every WSU student, faculty and staff member should know their Minnesota State StarID.
To change the password for your StarID, follow these instructions:
Changing your StarID password
1.Go to https://starid.minnstate.edu/ to reset your password.
2.Choose reset my password then choose "I know my Tech ID (8 digit student ID)"
3.You will either be prompted for your Social Security Number or to answer your StarID password security questions.
4.Once you've completed step three, choose your new password. Make note of the password requirements below the text entry box and ensure you check the box acknowledging the terms of access.
5.Once your password has been set it is recommended you update/add security questions that can help better protect your starID and password.
6.Please fill out all the security questions if prompted.
7.Once your password has been set you will receive an email confirmation.
Updating your passwords (Windows)
To update your computer password, the computer has to connect to campus.
You can connect to campus via wifi, an Ethernet cord, or via VPN.
If you use VPN, remember to enter your new password when connecting.
Once connected to campus, hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete then choose "Lock." To unlock the screen, enter your new password.
Updating your passwords (Mac)
To update your Mac login password, the Mac has to connect to campus.
You can connect to campus via wifi, an Ethernet adapter, or via VPN.
If you use VPN, remember to enter your new StarID password when connecting.
1. Click on the System Preferences icon on the Dock.
2. From System Preferences select Users & Groups.
3. Click on the lock icon to allow changes.
4. System Preferences will prompt you to type in your old password.
5. Click Change Password.
6. In the first field type your old password, then type your new password in both the “New Password” and "Verify" fields.
1. Close and reopen Skype. Skype may attempt to log you in, if this happens click cancel.
2. Now, click "delete sign-in info.
3. Then, type in your email address.
For students registered prior to Summer 2017, your email address is, for example, firstname.lastname@example.org. For students registered Summer 2017 or later, your email address is FirstName.LastName@go.winona.edu.
For employees hired prior to Summer 2017, your email address is, for example, email@example.com. For employees hired Summer 2017 or later, your email address is FirstName.LastName@winona.edu.
Then, click Continue.
4. A new window will pop-up. Click Sign in with another account at the bottom of the window.
5. Now Skype will ask for your minnstate log in.
- For Student type in your StarID followed by “@go.minnstate.edu”
- For Employee your StarID followed by “@minnstate.edu”.
6. Type in your password in the “Password” field and click Sign in.
If by this point you are still having trouble updating your password, please contact Tech Support at 507-457-5240 or by stopping in at Somsen 207 or Library 105.