MLA versus APA Conventions
The basic format for manuscripts is the same. To set up your "Normal" Word style in APA/MLA formats see:
- 1. Page numbering: MLA includes your last name as well as the page number.
- 2. Long Quotes: indentation differs.
- 3. Title Page:
- MLA does not require it. APA does not require one per se, but often professors will ask for one. The sample format for an APA Title Page can be viewed here: Sample Title Page
- 4. Abstracts:
- MLA does not require it. Again, APA does not require an abstract but often your professor will ask for one. The sample format for an APA abstract on a separate page can be viewed here: Sample Abstract Page
- 5. Format for Bibliographic or Works Cited references:
- 6. Format for in line page references:
For details of MLA format: See Diana Hacker's Style Instructions for MLA
For details APA format: See Diana Hacker's Style Instructions for APA