Microsoft Office 365 migration
About this article
This article includes information about the migration of our email, voicemail, OneDrive for Business, and other Microsoft Office 365 cloud services to the Minnesota State system and a checklist for reconnecting with your email and Office 365 services following the upgrade. This change, completed on August 7th, affected all WSU students and employees.
Update - Migration Complete
- As of Monday, August 7th, the initial copy of all old email, OneDrives, and other Office 365 content for all employees and summer students is complete. If you are missing content, please contact the Technical Support Center (AskTech@winona.edu, 507-457-5240, Somsen Hall 207). Please proceed to the checklist below for reconnecting with your new email and Office 365 services.
- Attention returning students: As of Monday, August 14th, our migration vendor and the system office were working to resolve issues with a relatively large number of student mailboxes. We will send an email update to all students when this work is complete.
Checklist: Accessing your new email and Office 365 services
Students and employees
Access your WSU email using a Web browser. Open your favorite Web browser and navigate to our WSU homepage at http://www.winona.edu. Select the Resources tab at the top of the screen and then select Office 365 & Email. If you see your old StarID@winona.edu account listed, select the three dots to the right of the account (Fig 3, #1) and select Forget (Fig 3, #2). Login using your new username and your StarID password.
- Student username: StarID@go.minnstate.edu
- Employee username: StarID@minnstate.edu
Note: you do not have to use Outlook on the Web (O365 version) this step configures your Outlook on the Web if you ever do want to use it. Use the next check box to configure Outlook on your desktop.
- If you are a PC user, select the Clear Outlook Credentials button (click on the blue button located on the right of this page) you will be prompted to download and run the Migrate_Outlook_Profile.exe program to clear your old credentials. If you are a MAC user click on Outlook > Preferences > Accounts > select the Winona account > click the minus sign on the bottom of the box > Delete. This will clear out your keychain.
- Open Outlook. This will start the Outlook setup wizard.
- When prompted for an email address, enter your new username instead: StarID@minnstate.edu for employees or StarID@go.minnstate.edu for students. If you are both an employee and a student, set up your primary email account first. You can then add the other email account later.
- Outlook will begin searching for your mailbox. This can take 2-5 minutes.
- Enter your new username and your StarID password. Select the Remember my credentials check box to avoid having to log in every time you start Outlook.
- Outlook will open and begin downloading your mail and folders. This process can take a long time if you have a significant amount of email. We suggest letting Outlook finish its initial download of mail before exiting. You can minimize the window.
Set up the Outlook app on your phone or tablet. If you use the Microsoft Outlook app on your phone or tablet to access your email, you will need to delete your current account and set up a new account using your new credentials. Downloadable instructions for iOS and Andriod devices are listed below:
- Android - Deleting your existing account and setting up the Outlook App with new username
- Apple - Deleting your existing account and setting up the Outlook App with new username
- Import your Skype for Business contact lists. If you use Skype for Business and saved your contact lists, Import Skype contacts.
- How to sign into Skype for Business after the migration. Sign into Skype for Business (PC Desktop) after July 24, 2017
Upload OneDrive for Business files. If you made copies of any OneDrive for Business files in the cloud to work on during the outage, upload them to your new OneDrive for Business. Warning: this will overwrite the old copy of your file.
Configure your voicemail. There are two ways to re-setup your greeting for voicemail: 1) You will receive an email from "Microsoft Outlook", titled "Welcome to Exchange Unified Messaging". This will arrive with instructions on how to setup your voicemail account. Until you enable your voicemail, people that call you will receive a message "The person you are trying to reach does not have a valid mailbox". 2) If you cannot find this email, use these instructions to setup your greeting using Outlook on the web .
Consult instructions for desk accounts and student worker accounts. If you use either a desk account or a student worker account, please consult the following instructions: Desk accounts and students workers
Retirees and Alumni
Access your WSU email using a Web browser. Open your favorite Web browser and navigate to our WSU homepage at http://www.winona.edu. Select the Resources tab at the top of the screen and then select Office 365 & Email. If you see your old StarID@winona.edu account listed, select the three dots to the right of the account (Fig 1, #1) and select Forget (Fig 1, #2). Login using your new username and your StarID password.
- Retiree username: StarID@minnstate.edu
- Alumni username: StarID@go.minnstate.edu
How do I get help?
If you have any questions or problems, contact the Technical Support Center (AskTech@winona.edu, 507-457-5240, Somsen Hall 207). We will also be available online on Monday in our virtual Adobe Connect room at https://webmeeting.minnstate.edu/wsuoffice365. Login using your StarID username and password or enter as a guest by typing your name and selecting the Join as a Guest button.
- Frequently asked questions
- Accessing your old mailbox following the Office 365 migration
- Using OneDrive for Business during the Office 365 migration
- Using OneNote during the Office 365 migration
- Sign into Skype for Business (PC Desktop) after July 24, 2017
- Turn off Focused Inbox
- Creating an email contact group from an email message