Perian is a freeware utility which adds codecs to Quicktime so that you can view and use a variety of important sound and video files on your Mac.
Perian enables QuickTime application support for additional media:
- File formats: AVI, DIVX, FLV, MKV, GVI, VP6, and VFW
- Video types: MS-MPEG4 v1 & v2, DivX, 3ivx, H.264, Sorenson H.263, FLV/Sorenson Spark, FSV1, VP6, H263i, VP3, HuffYUV, FFVHuff, MPEG1 & MPEG2 Video, Fraps, Snow, NuppelVideo, Techsmith Screen Capture, DosBox Capture
- Audio types: Windows Media Audio v1 & v2, Flash ADPCM, Xiph Vorbis (in Matroska), and MPEG Layer I & II Audio, True Audio, DTS Coherent Acoustics, Nellymoser ASAO
- AVI support for: AAC, AC3 Audio, H.264, MPEG4, and VBR MP3
- Subtitle support for: SSA/ASS and SRT
QuickTime support will make these files work in PowerPoint (for example, FLV or flash movies downloaded from You Tube) and other Microsoft apps, as well as your QuickTime app.
Installation of Perian
It is preinstalled on all MacBook Pros and MacBooks beginning June, 2010.
To download Perian to your Mac click here: http://www.perian.org/#download