PowerPoint (PC)/Using PowerPoint to Make Diagrams
The tools for drawing in PowerPoint can be used to create these common kind of diagrams:
- Venn Diagrams--see here for a discussion of the uses of Venn Diagrams.
- Flowcharts --see herefor a discussion of the uses of Flowcharts.
- Concept maps-- see here for a discussion of the uses of Concept maps
- Or any sort of drawing or structure that requires text and lines or arrows, such as syntax trees, circuits, PERT, fish-bone or cause-&-effect diagrams, blueprints, and lots more.
PowerPoint drawing tools features the standard objects and conventions of Unified Modeling Language (UML) to specify, visualize, modify, construct and document the artifacts of an object-oriented software intensive system under development.
See here for a complete list of diagrams that you might do with PowerPoint.
- 1 Start with a Blank Slide
- 2 Basic Drawing Tools in PowerPoint
- 3 Tips and Tricks on Using Drawing Tools
- 4 Using the SmartArt Graphics Gallery
- 5 Our Internal Help Pages for PowerPoint PC Include
- 6 Other Resources
Start with a Blank Slide
You can create a blank canvas by opening the Slide Layouts Gallery and selecting a blank slide.
If you have started from a new presentation (with a title slide as the default), it will convert the current slide to a blank one.
The blank slide is like a canvas for drawing.
It is laid out as a printable page of 8 1/2 x 11 inches, in a landscape or wide view. You can change the size of the "canvas" by changing the size of the slide layout.
But for most your diagrams this default size should work well.
Basic Drawing Tools in PowerPoint
The Basic Drawing Tools in PowerPoint are available in the menu Insert>Shapes.
Tips and Tricks on Using Drawing Tools
- To make a perfect square or perfect circle, hold down the SHIFT key as you draw the object.
- To make a straight line, hold down the SHIFT key as you draw the line (up-down or sideways).
- Select the object you wish to edit. Then use the Right-Mouse Menu to select formatting options and to enter the text editor.
- See the full dialog box for formatting options below: it includes many options for modifying objects.
Note that the object is automatically filled and shadowed. These are features you can change. You can also type text into the object and format that text.
Using the SmartArt Graphics Gallery
To access these tools, open the Gallery bar and click on SmartArt Graphics.
To Make a Simple Venn Diagram Using SmartArt Graphics
To make a Venn Diagram, use the SmartGraphic category "Relationship."
To Make a Flow Chart Using SmartArt Graphics
To make a Flow Chart, use the SmartGraphic category "Process."
To Make a Concept Map Using SmartArt Graphics
To make a Concept Map, use the SmartGraphic category "Cycle" or "Process."
Our Internal Help Pages for PowerPoint PC Include
- Microsoft PowerPoint (PC)
- Microsoft PowerPoint Inserting a YouTube Video (PC)
- PowerPoint (PC)/Using PowerPoint to Make Diagrams
- PowerPoint (PC)/Adding Video and Sound
For help from Microsoft: Click Here!
Our Other Help Pages: