Quizzes in D2L Student View
WSU students in a traditional, blended, online, or ITV environment.
The Quiz tool is designed so that you take exams online. IMPORTANT Many instructors will require you to use LockDown Browser for exams and it is vital that you keep this browser up to date. For a more complete set of instructions related to using LockDown Browser go to the Using LockDown Browser to take a Brightspace quiz article.
To access your quizzes you will need to follow the steps below.
1. Turn off and on your Wi-Fi access before you begin an exam from the room you will be taking the exam. This logs you on to the local wireless hub in the room and will bump you up to the faster connection. If you have time before the exam or had your device on for several days completely shut down the device and restart. As your device comes back online make sure to shut down any applications if your instructor will be using LockDown Browser for this quiz.
2. Log into the Brightspace course you are taking your exam in and select the Assessments menu.
3. Choose the Quizzes option from this menu.
4. From the list of quizzes click on the name (this is a link) of the quiz you are assigned to take.
5. If you are required to use LockDown Browser it will have a button to Launch LockDown Browser otherwise, you will click on the Start Quiz! button.
Taking the Quiz
The following video shows the process of taking an exam within Brighspace. This video also covers the process of viewing your results after the exam has been completed.
Accessing Quiz Submission
It can be a bit tricky to find out how you did on your quizzes. If you are trying to determine what questions you got wrong and right you will want to go to Assessments-->Quizzes. Each instructor decides what view they are willing to display. By default, you will only see the score you achieved on the quiz. In some cases, your professor will allow you to see the questions you answered incorrectly, correctly, with answers, or without the correct answers.
To access your results on a quiz click on the menu to the right of the quiz you want to see and select Submissions (see image below).
Next, click on the Attempt # to see the score you received and if the instructor has set up a Submission View for the quiz you will see more details on the page.
Potential Problems and How to Handle Them
Thousands of WSU students take Brightspace quizzes in class each semester and technical problems are rare. Below are a number of the most common problems with solutions to fix these problems.
- Install/update Lockdown Browser ahead of time. This can be updated/installed in a couple of minutes prior to starting the quiz. Simply go to Assessments>Quizzes and open the quiz. At the bottom of the page is a link to download the latest version of Lockdown Browser. Once you have it installed you should quit the browser session and restart the browser. Go back into Brightspace and continue taking the quiz.
- Quiz freezes and/or the quiz cannot be submitted. If you can't scroll up or down on a quiz page or cannot submit a quiz simply close your browser, restart it, log back into Brightspace, and resume the quiz.
- Cannot re-enter the quiz after a restart. This usually means that the quiz end time or timer has elapsed. Your professor can extend these for the entire class or just for this student using a special access condition. It may also be the case that the professor has changed the password for the quiz and you will need to ask the professor for the new password.
- Web browser issues. If you cannot get into a quiz and nothing seems to work, try a different web browser. There may be some problem with your preferred browser that needs technical attention. Brightspace is approved for use on Chrome and Firefox, both of which are pre-installed on all WSU laptops, as is Microsoft Edge. Apple Safari is not recommended for use with Brightspace.
- All hell breaks loose. Before you throw in the towel, call TLT (email@example.com, 507-457-5240 Option #3, Maxwell Hall 130). We will run over to your class and help you.