Recording with Kaltura Capture
About this article
This article includes a brief description of the Kaltura Capture tool, part of our MediaSpace toolset, installation instructions, and links to other articles on how to setup and use the tool to create video and audio recordings. It is intended for all WSU students and employees.
What is Kaltura Capture?
Kaltura Capture is one of the tools in our MediaSpace toolset. It's a software application that you install on your computer that allows you to create video and audio recordings. Using Kaltura Capture, you can easily produce recordings that capture any combination of your voice, screen activity, and webcam. These recordings can then be immediately saved to your MediaSpace account. Designed to provide a very basic set of features and functions that are tightly integrated with your MediaSpace account, Kaltura Capture is an alternative to other multimedia authoring tools like Camtasia and Screencast-O-Matic.
Installing the Kaltura Capture software on your computer
The first time you access Kaltura Capture, you will be prompted to install the application on your computer. MediaSpace guides you through the installation, which is relatively straightforward. The process is different for PC and Mac computers. There are full instructions for downloading and installing Kaltura Capture in the Kaltura Knowledge Base. (You can always contact the Technical Support Center (AskTech@winona.edu, 507-457-5240, Somsen Hall 207) if you have any problems.) Once you have installed the application, it will launch automatically each time you use Kaltura Capture through MediaSpace.
Accessing Kaltura Capture
To access the Kaltura Capture tool:
- Use your favorite web browser to login to your MediaSpace account at mediaspace.minnstate.edu using your Star ID username and password. This will take you to your My Media page.
- Select Kaltura Capture from the + Add New menu. (See image at right.)
- On the Kaltura Capture Recorder toolbar, select what you would like to record from the options provided. See below for more information.
Learning how to record using Kaltura Capture
- How to adjust your recording settings
- How to record with Kaltura Capture
- Uploading files to MediaSpace
- Trimming recordings in MediaSpace
- Closed captioning in MediaSpace
- How to add MediaSpace recordings to Brightspace courses
Can I use Kaltura Capture on my tablet and smartphone?
No. Currently, Kaltura Capture does not function on either tablets or smartphones. However, you can record video on these devices using applications other than Kaltura Capture and then upload the resulting files to your MediaSpace account.
Katura offers a full Kaltura Capture User Guide in their knowledge base.