SOCW 355 Multicultural Issues - Shanalingigwa
About This Article
This article describes how mobile computing, specifically tablets, was piloted in Prof. Oswald Shanalingigwa's SOCW 355 Multicultural Issues to transform teaching and learning.
WSU instructors interested in past faculty experience with tablet devices in the classroom.
Summer 2013 iPad Pilot
Students in this course had access to an iPad tablet to use throughout the summer semester along with several apps selected by Dr. Shanalingigwa for use in class and in the field.
How the iPads are Used in SOCW 355
In SOCW 355, Professor Shanalingigwa sends his students into the field to study culture, multiculturalism, assimilation, pluralism, citizenship, immigration, and refugee status first hand. Students need to communicate with each other and the instructor from the field and send back evidence and artifacts in the form of notes, videos, and audios in a timely manner.
Professor Shanalingigwa chose to pilot iPads in his SOCW 355 class to assist students in their communication and recording from the field as well as their work from home. This left the major objective of this tablet pilot to be:
- Determine whether the iPad would simplify and speed up student communication. Dr. Shanalingigwa hoped to discover the value of the iPads as tools in learning. Students found the tablets' size and mobility handy and found communication easier.
Changes in the classroom
- Responses to assignments came faster. Because of the flexibility of the iPads, students were able to quickly record, edit, and transfer artifacts from site visits to Professor Shanalingigwa. Students are expected to complete their assignments anywhere in the United States but to get their captured "real moments" sent back to Professor Shanalingigwa within a few hours.
- Configure the iPads to support Word and PowerPoint documents. Applications that support viewing and reading of standard Office documents should be standard issue on all iPads.
iPad Applications Employed in SOCW 355
Professor Shanalingigwa used the following applications in his SOCW 355 iPad pilot:
Descriptions, pricing, and links to iTunes for each of these applications is available on the iPad Pilot Applications page.
Related Wiki Topics
- Faculty Starter Application Set
- SPED 414 and SPED 415 - Danneker
- EDUC 335 and SPED 425 - Reap Danneker
- BIOL 211-212 Anatomy and Physiology - Hiddinga
- BIOL 310 Genetics - Hiddinga
- MKTG 365 Advanced Professional Selling - Collins
- Wellness Exchange
- CS 275 Mathematical Foundations of Algorithms - Gegg-Harrison
- College Bound
- SPED 300 Children and Youth With Exceptionalities - Kirk Street Ellis