Understanding what is stored on your laptop hard drive
About this article
This article includes instructions for determining what is stored where on the hard drive installed in your WSU-provided laptop. It is intended for all current participants in the E-Warrior Digital Life and Learning Program, both students and employees.
What do I need to know about where files are stored on my laptop hard drive?
You don't need to understand how your hard drive works at a molecular level, but everyone who uses a laptop should know the following:
- Does my laptop have more than one physical hard drive?
- Is my hard drive divided into partitions? What's a partition? What's the difference between a partition and a volume?
- What is the maximum capacity of my hard drive?
- How much hard drive space do I have left?
- How much of my hard drive space is being used by my personal folders and files?
- Where on my hard drive are all of my personal folders and files stored?
- When I install software, where on my hard drive are those applications stored?
- How much hard drive space is being used by my personal files and folders?
- How much hard drive space is being used by the applications I have installed?
- Are there files and folders on my hard drive that I should not touch?
- Are there files and folders on my hard drive that are hidden?
- Do I have any folders and files on my hard drive that are being shared or synchronized (e.g. in the cloud)?