Using Respondus LockDown Browser to take a Brightspace quiz
About this article
This article provides instructions for students on using Respondus LockDown Browser (LDB) to take a quiz in Brightspace. It may also be of interest to instructors who are asking their students to use LDB to take Brightspace tests and quizzes.
LDB is a special web browser that can only be used to navigate to Brightspace for the purpose of taking a test or quiz. When you select Start on a quiz that has been configured by your instructor to use LDB, it launches LDB automatically and you will have limited access to your computer until you submit the quiz.
LDB was updated on June 1, 2017. The biggest change for students is that you no longer need to launch LDB manually (i.e., from an icon on your desktop). Simply use your favorite browser to go to the quiz start page and select the Launch LockDown Browser button. There are also several new features that your instructors might decide to use, such as enabling you to use an iPad to take a quiz and enabling you to access a calculator during a quiz.
Five things every student should know about LDB and Brightspace quizzes
- Install/update early. If your instructor requires LDB, you should install/update it in advance to allow enough time to test it and seek technical help if needed. Many instructors provide a demo quiz that you can use to make sure LDB is functioning properly before you take any real quizzes.
- Reboot your laptop. If your laptop is running or in sleep mode when you enter the testing room, shut your laptop down completely and reboot. You must start your laptop from the power off mode in order to establish a proper network connection. If you don't do this, LDB may lock up during the test.
- Save your answers. Whenever you take any quiz in Brightspace, always save your answers as you go. You can always go back and change your answers later.
- Stay calm. If your laptop freezes up or crashes during a LDB quiz, stay calm. If you have been saving your answers, they are all safe and sound in Brightspace as an Attempt in progress. Reboot your laptop, log in to D2L, and resume your quiz.
- Be honest. During a Brightspace quiz administered on our campus network with or without LDB, your network activity is being logged. Your instructors can access some of that log information from within Brightspace and our WSU network engineers can provide a much more detailed picture of what was happening on the network while you were taking your quiz. These logs allow us to identify cheating on Brightspace quizzes with 100% accuracy. Please make good choices and follow the WSU Academic Integrity Policy.
Using LDB to take a quiz in D2L
- Log into Brightspace with a regular browser (e.g., Chrome, Firefox), select the course and navigate to the quiz.
- From the quiz start screen (Fig 1), select the Launch LockDown Browser button to start the quiz.
- If you need to install/upgrade LDB, you will be prompted to do so. Follow the instructions and then repeat Step 2.
You can download and install LDB anytime at http://www.respondus.com/lockdown/download.php?id=941339504