WSU Alumni Email
|WSU & Office 365|
|This article is part of the
Office 365 Guide
Do You Qualify for a WSU Alumni Mailbox?
If you graduated December 2009 or after, you qualify for an Alumni mailbox. Please read the information below.
Username and Password
On December 16th a new authentication process was introduced.
- Your current Microsoft Office 365 account will no longer work to access your WSU Alumni mailbox.
- You are required to login using your StarID and password to access your WSU Alumni mailbox. This includes access from a mobile device, email client, or other Microsoft Office related application.
- The Microsoft Office 365 Sign-In Page you currently use to login to your WSU Alumni mailbox will change to a Winona State University Sign-In Page: http://sky.winona.edu
- You will need to reset your password using our Self-Service Password Reset Tool prior to logging into your WSU Alumni Mailbox:
After completing the self-service password reset, you may log into your Winona State University Office 365 alumni email account.
You are responsible for renewing your WSU account if you wish to retain your WSU Alumni mailbox. The renewal process is simple: Update your WSU password within the required 180 days (twice a year), using the Self-Service Password Reset Tool: https://reset.winona.edu If you do not reset your password prior to its expiration, your account will become inactive or expired. Inactive or expired accounts associated with your WSU Alumni mailbox are subject to removal after 180 days.
An automated process to handle Alumni account extensions has been implemented. This process should eliminate the need for Alumni to contact User Services to have Active Directory accounts extended (Used for accessing Office 365 mailbox).
Alumni Active Directory accounts, within 10 days of expiration, are evaluated by their 'Office 365 Mailbox last login date'.
- Alumni mailboxes accessed inside of 180 days, will have their associated Active Directory account extended by 365 days.
- Alumni mailboxes not accessed inside of 180 days, will expire and be removed from Active Directory according to our standard account retention policy (They are not removed from Active Directory any sooner than 220 days past their account expiration date).
Alumni must access their mailbox at least once within 180 days of their expiration date: or roughly every 6 months.
After You Leave
Can I keep my email address after I graduate?
Winona State University Alumni (graduates of WSU) get to keep their WSU Email Address, for their personal (non-commercial) use.
What about my associated Office 365 Storage (OneDrive For Business)?
Graduates are permitted extended access to the complete Office 365 Suite for one full semester (Fall or Winter), following their graduation date. After the initial semester, unless otherwise enrolled in courses, these additional features will become deactivated leaving their mailbox active and accessible through our Sky Services page (https://sky.winona.edu).
The current Office 365 Suite includes additional features such as OneDrive for Business and ProPlus for Students.
During the extended access phase, graduating students are advised to move all files from their OneDrive for Business to an alternate storage location. All data will be lost when this feature has been deactivated.
How do I access my email after graduation?
During the extended access phase (one semester following graduation), you will log in as a Student through our Sky Services page (https://sky.winona.edu).
After the extended access phase, you will log in as an Alumni through our Sky Services page (https://sky.winona.edu).
How long can I keep my alumni email address?
You can keep the your alumni email address as long as you are actively using it by logging in at least once every 180 days (six months) and respond to related email notifications regarding expiring services.
- Faculty members that Retire with Distinction may request to keep account.
- Staff members that Retire with Distinction may request to keep account.