Integrating Flipgrid with Brightspace
About this article
This article includes instructions for integrating the Flipgrid video chat tool with Brightspace. It is intended for instructors who are familiar with Brightspace and interested in using video chat to support learning activities.
Currently, there are two ways to access Flipgrid grids, topics, and videos from Brightspace:
- Link. When visitors click the link, they are transported out of Brightspace to the Flipgrid website in a separate browser tab and prompted to login. Once authenticated, the grid, topic, or video is displayed.
- Embed code. Visitors can view entire grids, specific topics, or individual videos from within Brightspace, without going to the Flipgrid website. They can also post new videos to a topic from within Brightspace.
Use the following steps to copy a link to the whole grid or an individual video and paste it into Brightspace:
- Use your favorite browser to navigate to the Educator sign-in page at https://admin.flipgrid.com
- Select Log in with Microsoft
- Enter your StarID username and password. Use the StarID@minnstate.edu format for your username.
- To copy the link to an entire grid: Select the Share button to the right of the grid.
- To copy a link to a topic within a grid: Open the grid by selecting it and then select the Share button to the right of the topic.
- To copy a link to an individual video within a topic: Open the topic by selecting it and then select the Share button to the right of that post. You can also open the post to view the video and then select the Share tab on the video playback window.
- Selecting Share always opens the same window from which you can choose how you want to share the grid, topic, or video. To copy the link to your clipboard, select the Copy button.
- Finally, paste the link into your Brightspace class. It could be added as a topic in a module or inserted anywhere the HTML Editor is used (e.g., announcement, discussion post, course page).
- When adding a link to a Flipgrid grid, topic, or video to Brightspace, you can choose not to open it in a separate browser tab. This will cause it to open within the Brightspace interface. When adding it as a topic in a module, do not check the Open as External Resource checkbox to force it to open within Brightspace. When adding it using the Insert Link button in the HTML Editor, select Whole Window or Same Frame.
- The Flipgrid embed code sets the width of the iFrame to 600px. You can change that to make the embedded grid, topic, or video better fit the space. Do this when you first embed it or later by selecting the HTML Source Editor button. If you are embedding a grid or topic on a page, a 1200px width will fill the page.