Workshops/Bring Your Old Handouts to Life Online
- Level - Intermediate, knowledge of basic functions and features of Microsoft Word required
- Audience - Instructors interested in enhancing their existing Word course content and optimizing it for Web delivery
- Time - 50 minutes
Before the Session
This session is hands-on, so please bring your laptop if possible. If you cannot bring a laptop, one will be provided for you.
Microsoft Word is a familiar instructional tool that many teachers have been using for years to create and manage course content. The new 2007/2008/2010 versions of Word include numerous features and functions that can be used to enhance documents in ways that facilitate learning. These enhanced documents can be converted to a Web-friendly format using both Word and other applications like Adobe Acrobat to allow students easy access to engaging content online. Learn how to revitalize and reuse your old Word content and use Word as a powerful Web authoring tool. Gather ideas for reducing the number and complexity of your course's Word content by using D2L features (e.g., the content editor) more effectively. Expand your use of Word by leveraging its integration with such tools as Adobe Contribute, Adobe Acrobat, SoftChalk LessonBuilder, and Zotero. Learn how to use templates and Word's new blog posting feature to streamline content creation and reduce your workload. Finally, learn how to share what you create with your colleagues using a D2L learning object repository and other methods.
Following this session, you will be able to...
- Include graphical elements in Word documents, such as SmartArt, Charts, Screenshots, and Equations
- List three findings from multimedia learning research that relate to the construction of learning materials in Word
- Save Word documents as Web and PDF pages and publish them online
- Use QuickParts and templates to reduce document creation and editing time
- Describe the connection between Adobe Contribute and Word
- Use Word to compose a blog post
- Describe the connection between Word and SoftChalk LessonBuilder
- Convert a Word document into a Web page and upload it to D2L