About This Article
This article describes how mobile computing, specifically tablets, was piloted in WSU's Wellness Exchange.
WSU instructors interested in past faculty experience with tablet devices in the classroom.
Summer 2013 iPad Pilot
Participants in the Wellness Exchange had access to an iPad tablet to use during the conference along with a custom application supplied by Dr. Tim Gegg-Harrison and Dr. Nicole Anderson.
How the iPads are Used in the Wellness Exchange
The iPads were used by attendees at the Well 2013 conference. Two graduating Computer Science majors along with Dr. Anderson and Dr. Gegg-Harrison presented an iPhone/iPad app that organized wellness events. Attendees were able to follow along and actually use the app during the presentation.
The major objective of the pilot was:
- Enhance their presentation and engage the audience. By having the attendees follow along in the application as its features were presented, they were able to actively participate with the presenters rather than simply listening to the description of the application.
Changes in the classroom
- Greater audience engagement. The attendees really appreciated being able to be more engaged in the presentation.
- Have tablets in the audience. When presenting an app (either one that the instructor has developed or one that the instructor wants to use in the classroom), the presentation greatly benefits from the students having (and using) a tablet in the classroom.
iPad Applications Employed in the Wellness Exchange
Professors Anderson and Gegg-Harrison used the following applications in the Wellness Exchange iPad pilot:
- The only application used at the Wellness Exchange was a custom app designed and coded by two graduating Computer Science majors.
Descriptions, pricing, and links to iTunes for each of these applications is available on the iPad Pilot Applications page.
Related Wiki Topics
- Faculty Starter Application Set
- SPED 414 and SPED 415 - Danneker
- EDUC 335 and SPED 425 - Reap Danneker
- BIOL 211-212 Anatomy and Physiology - Hiddinga
- BIOL 310 Genetics - Hiddinga
- MKTG 365 Advanced Professional Selling - Collins
- Wellness Exchange
- CS 275 Mathematical Foundations of Algorithms - Gegg-Harrison
- College Bound
- SPED 300 Children and Youth With Exceptionalities - Kirk Street Ellis