Windows 8.1 Survival Guide
|Student Survival Guide|
|This article is part of the
Student Survival Guide Series
Microsoft Support at your fingertips
On your HP 840's Start Menu, look for the orange icon with the white question mark. This icon will take you to help and tips about how to use the Windows 8.1 operating system.
Just click or tap on one of the choices on your computer
Searching in Windows 8.1
- Windows + S brings up a Search experience designed to help you find things more quickly from any application.
- If you are on the Start Screen/Windows Metro all you have to do is start typing. The Search box will appear on the right of your screen.
Installing software/programs from the network - Follow the instructions for Windows 8.1
What's New in Windows 8.1?
- Windows 8.1 has added new features to give you the best experience - The New Windows.
- Start screen allows you to see all your contents and get live updates - Start screen.
- Hot corners work in any background.
- Windows 8 Desktop has layout and style changes.
- Swipe action Using the Charms for things you do often.
- Organizing your start menu - Start Screen Tutorial.
- Accessing your Settings. For video instruction, visit this link and scroll down to Settings --> Settings from Charms.
- Accessing and managing Wi-Fi.
- Managing Notifications.
- Speaker volume, brightness via Charms/Hot corners.
- Accessing personalization and the control panel on the desktop via Charms & Hot corners.
- Accessing the Camera app and webcam.
- How to pin/unpin programs to taskbar - Start Screen Tutorial.
- Closing apps outside of the Desktop - Close apps.
- Right click on start menu to name groups of apps.
- Creating icons on the start menu from Internet Explorer when opened in Metro - Creating icons.
- Search & select Internet options --> Select the "Programs" tab --> uncheck the box for "open Internet Explorer tiles on the desktop".
- Accessing the store and downloading/purchasing apps requires creation of/signing in with a personal Microsoft account. and linking that account to the laptop.
- Deleting items is relatively easy – saved to either the desktop or a folder, items can be moved to the trash by selecting the item and pressing the delete key
More support on Windows.com
- All about Start
- What's new in Windows 8.1?
- Personalize your Windows 8.1 PC
- Windows 8.1 Touch Gestures - A touch gesture is the physical act or motion performed on a touch screen by your finger.
- Getting and using apps
- Touch, mouse and keyboard shortcuts
- Search, Share, Start, Devices, and Settings
- App commands
- Using apps side by side
- Learn more about Windows 8.1
lynda Video Training
Windows 8.1 lynda Training
NOTE: To view lynda videos you must have a WSU lynda account. This account is easy to setup - just go to lynda for full instructions.