Workshops/Enhance the Instructional Power of PowerPoint
- Level - Intermediate, knowledge of basic PowerPoint functions required
- Audience - Instructors interested in enhancing their traditional PowerPoint course content for online delivery
- Time - 50 minutes
Before the Session
This session is hands-on, so please bring your laptop if possible. If you cannot bring a laptop, one will be provided for you.
Although Microsoft PowerPoint is a familiar instructional tool, many teachers do not take full advantage of newer features that can dramatically improve the instructional value of PowerPoint content when used in the classroom. Also, they often post online the same slide presentations used in class, without optimizing that content for Web delivery. Learn how to use several of the built-in features of PowerPoint 2007/2008/2010 with potential to significantly facilitate classroom-based learning. Practice adding voice narration to your PowerPoint slides using several different methods. Finally, convert one of your PowerPoint presentations to an enhanced, Web-ready format and upload it to D2L for easy student access.
Following this session, you will be able to...
- Apply several basic findings from multimedia learning research to your construction of PowerPoint content
- Split your display in class to show slides on the public screen and speaker notes on your screen
- Easily switch between external Web content and your PowerPoint show
- Provide students with note-ready versions of PowerPoint slides used in class
- Broadcast your PowerPoint show live online via PowerPoint 2010 and Adobe Connect
- Insert YouTube movies and other useful, engaging web-based content into PowerPoint slides
- Insert and manipulate SmartArt and Charts in PowerPoint slides
- Insert screen shots into PowerPoint slides
- Use actions to add interactivity to PowerPoint slides
- Describe how classroom polling systems integrate with PowerPoint
- Use the built-in narration feature to add voice-overs to slides
- Describe the difference between the built-in narration feature and the capabilities of Adobe Presenter and Techsmith Camtasia
- Optimize images in PowerPoint slides for online delivery
- Compare built-in Web conversion with conversion using Adobe Presenter, Techsmith Camtasia, and SlideShare.
- Upload web-ready PowerPoint slide shows to D2L