Adobe Connect (Participant)
About this article
This article provides an overview the features and functions of the Adobe Connect web conferencing system. It is intended for all WSU students and employees interested in hosting online meetings using Connect.
Adobe Connect is a full-featured web conferencing tool that can be used on desktops, laptops, and mobile devices. It supports video and audio over the Internet, document and screen sharing, and more. It is web-based and does not require the installation of any major software application. Meeting hosts can create meeting sites or rooms using the Connect Manager, provide access to those rooms through a URL, and then use the tools available in the room to facilitate engaging online meetings with anyone in the world via a web browser. Meeting attendees can participate in online activities based on the role assigned to them by the host. WSU employees can create and host Connect meetings. WSU students can attend Connect meetings, but cannot create and host them on their own. Connect meeting rooms can be persistent, so you can set them up once and reuse them. Most faculty and staff use Connect to support online meetings (e.g., remote classes, virtual office hours, exam review sessions), but it can also be used in a face-to-face meeting or classroom to support communication and collaboration.
Accessing a Meeting
- To enter an Adobe Connect meeting as a participant click on the link provided by the host of the meeting. The link will start with connect.shot.smsu.edu followed by the name of the meeting room.
- Select the "Enter as a Guest" option and type in your full name in the field provided and select Enter Room.
Using Adobe Connect
Refer to the Adobe Connect visual quick start guide for participants for training using the features in Adobe Connect.
- For the best quality audio use a microphone or headset during your meeting. This will not only improve the audio but will also helps control the echo some experience when using video conferencing tools.
- Select a location that is quiet and does have distracting background noise (pets, constructions, children etc.). Jabber will pick up any noise present and this can be very disruptive during a meeting.
- When you are not speaking mute your microphone.
- Keeping your camera turned off during a session will improve the connection.
- Adobe Connect is designed to allow the user to actively participate during a meeting. To ask a question Raise Your Hand by selecting the icon at the top of the page. Once you select this icon an image of a figure raising its hand will appear next to your name on the Participant List. Make sure your microphone is un-muted before you ask your question.