About this article
This article includes a description of the BYODWSU wireless network option for connecting some personal devices to the Internet from WSU residence halls. It is intended for all students living in campus residence halls.
BYODWSU is a public wireless network available in WSU residence halls. It is offered as an option for connecting personally-owned devices to the Internet that cannot be connected via a wire or through the secure Warrior wireless network. This might include:
- Smart televisions
- Game consoles
When to use BYODWSU
BYODWSU is intended as a last resort for devices that cannot be connected to the Internet using a network cable or via the Warrior wireless network. Please note:
- Connecting your device with a network cable versus wirelessly will give you the fastest, most reliable performance
- Only use BYODWSU when you cannot connect your device to the secure Warrior wireless network
- The BYODWSU wireless network can only be accessed from campus residence halls
- Do not connect WSU devices (e.g., your laptop) to BYODWSU
- Before you can connect your device to BYODWSU, you must add it to your list of approved devices in your My Devices Portal. This will require entering your device's MAC address.
- Similar to what you might find in a coffee shop, BYODWSU is a public wireless network and the information traveling across it is not protected in any way (e.g., using encryption).
Finding your device's MAC address
A MAC address is a unique code that identifies your specific device. It is formatted as six pairs of letters and numbers separated by colons (e.g., A1:B2:C3:D4:E5). Many devices list the MAC address on a sticker located somewhere on the device. Others display the MAC address within a settings menu. Consult Google for information on how to find the MAC address for your specific device.
Adding a device to My Devices Portal
Before you can connect a device to the BYODWSU wireless network, you must add it to your list of approved devices in your My Devices Portal. Follow the steps below:
- Using your laptop connected to the Warrior network, open up your web browser and go to https://mydevice.ise.winona.edu. Log in with your StarID username and password.
- Review and accept the Acceptable Use Policy.
- Select the Add button.
- Enter a name for your device and your device's MAC address. You can add a description of the device if you wish. Select the Submit button.
- Your device's status will be listed as Pending. This means the device is ready to be connected to BYODWSU.
Connecting a device to BYODWSU
After you have added your device to your My Devices Portal, you can set up your device per the manufacturer's instructions. Select BYODWSU when you get to the step that involves connecting to a wireless network.
Managing My Devices Portal
You can log into your My Devices Portal at https://mydevice.ise.winona.edu any time to add new devices and manage existing devices. Please note:
- You are limited to three devices.
- Select Edit if you need to change any of the information about your device.
- Please Delete any device that is no longer using BYODWSU.
- You can also change the status of a device to Lost or Stolen if needed. This will notify the Technical Support Center (AskTech@winona.edu, 507-457-5240, Somsen Hall 207) and allow them to monitor the network for any suspicious activity (e.g., your device connecting to the network from some other location).