Connecting personally-owned laptops to the WSU network
About this article
Antivirus must be installed
All computer equipment attached to the WSU network must have an antivirus program installed, updated and fully functional to ensure your laptop is free from any viruses or malware.
WSU students and employees
Use a network cable to connect your laptop to any network port on campus. Network cables can be checked out from the Technical Support Center in Somsen 207 or the Information Gallery in the Krueger Library. They can also be purchased from the bookstore.
Connect to the secure Warrior wireless network using the instructions below for a PC or Mac.
- Make sure the wireless button is turned on and that Windows is not in airplane mode.
- Go to Start, Settings, and click on the wireless icon to pull up a list of available wireless networks.
- Select the Warrior network.
- Enter your WSU username (email address) and password and follow the prompts.
- If you are unable to access the network using your WSU username (email address) and password, follow these instructions - Connect to WSU Wireless with a Personally Owned PC.
- Click the wireless icon on the menu bar near the top right of the screen.
- If necessary, select Turn Wi-Fi On.
- Click the wireless icon again, and select Warrior from the list of available networks.
- Enter your WSU username (email address) and password.
- When the Verify Certificate window appears, click Continue.
- You may be prompted to enter your login password before Wi-Fi connects.
Once connected, you will have Internet and network file directory access. You will not have access to WSU licensed software or network printers from a personally-owned laptop.
Access personal and department file directories. Once connected to the warrior network, run \\winona.edu\dfs\employees. You will see five folders for PersonalStorage, ClassStorage, Department, GroupStorage, and Web-Course1.
Access class file directories by running \\winona.edu\dfs\students. You will be prompted for your WSU username and password and see three folders for ClassStorage, GroupStorage and Web-Student Webs.
We encourage students and employees to attempt setting up wireless access on their own with the directions given above. If assistance is needed, contact the Technical Support Center (AskTech@winona.edu, 507-457-5240, Somsen Hall 207).