Integrating Flipgrid with Brightspace
About this article
This article includes information, ideas, and instructions for integrating the Flipgrid video chat tool with Brightspace. It is intended for instructors who are familiar with Brightspace and are interested in using video chat to support learning activities.
Flipgrid is a web service that allows groups of people to discuss a specific topic asynchronously by exchanging short, 90-second videos captured using their computer or mobile device. The instructor creates a discussion forum or grid, adds one or more topics to the grid, and invites students to post a recorded video response to those topics. Similar to threaded, text-based discussions, instructors and other students can view and reply to posted videos.
Creating a Flipgrid Educator Account
Before you can create grids, invite your students to them, and access them from Brightspace, you will need to create a Flipgrid Educator account.
Currently, there are two ways to access Flipgrid grids and videos from Brightspace:
- A link to the grid or video. When visitors click the link, they are transported out of Brightspace to the Flipgrid website in a separate browser tab and prompted to login. Once authenticated, the grid or video is displayed.
- The embed code for the grid or video. Visitors can view grids or individual videos from within Brightspace, without going to the Flipgrid website. They can also post new videos to a grid from within Brightspace.
Once you have created a grid and it contains posted videos, use the following steps to copy a link to the whole grid or an individual video and paste it into Brightspace:
- Use your favorite browser to navigate to the Educator sign-in page at https://admin.flipgrid.com
- Select Log in with Microsoft
- Enter your StarID username and password. Use the StarID@minnstate.edu format for your username.
- To copy the link to an entire grid, select the Share button to the right of the grid on your Flipgrid homepage. To copy a link to an individual video in the grid, open the grid by selecting it. Then