Join a Zoom meeting as a participant
About this article
This article provides an overview of the features and functions of the Zoom web conferencing system. It is intended for all WSU students and employees interested in conducting or attending online meetings using Zoom.
Logging into Zoom
Minnesota State controls the Zoom instance used by all colleges and universities in the system. It is this instance that we at Winona State University use for hosting virtual meetings.
You can access the official instance of Zoom at https://minnstate.zoom.us. Use your Star ID and password to log into Zoom.
Once you are logged in, you will be asked to join a meeting, host a meeting, or proceed directly to your user profile. See the image at right.
Joining a Zoom meeting
Once you have either the meeting ID or the URL, you can enter the meeting room at the defined time.
There are two ways to join a Zoom meeting.
Entering from the Zoom home page
Go to https://minnstate.zoom.us and click the Join button.
- Click the Join button in the browser window. A new page will be displayed.
- Enter the meeting ID for the meeting you wish to join. (The meeting ID will be supplied by the host of the meeting. You will either have the 10 digit code or you can use the 10 digits at the end of the URL. They are the same.)
- Click the Join button to join the meeting.
- You will be asked if you wish to allow this page to open zoom.us. Click Allow to enter the meeting room.
- The Zoom application will launch on your computer. Select Join With Computer Audio.
If you do not have the Zoom application on your computer, you can download it from the Zoom homepage at https://minnstate.zoom.us. Click the Download Client link at the bottom of the browser window.
Join using the URL
Copy the URL and paste it into the address field in your browser. Hit Enter/Return to join the meeting.
- Zoom Help Center
- Zoom training from Linkedin Learning
- From the Zoom Help Center:
Related Wiki Topics
- Test Zoom
- Sign in to Zoom using guest credentials
- Sign in to Zoom using your StarID
- Install Zoom
- Use a document camera in a Zoom meeting
- Prevent Zoom-bombing
- Edit a Zoom meeting
- Solve Zoom meeting technical problems
- Get Zoom meeting assistance
- Share your screen in a Zoom meeting
For a complete listing of topics, select from the category list below.