About this article
This article introduces our lynda online learning service, providing the entire campus with access to a large library of online courses for training and professional development purposes. It is intended for all members of the campus community.
What's lynda and why would I use it?
Lynda is a library of thousands of online courses taught by industry experts covering a wide variety of topics, including technology, personal productivity, communication, project management, and many others. Lynda courses include high-quality, accessible video demonstrations and supplemental materials, available 24-7 from your laptop, tablet, or phone. New courses are added regularly. Information Technology Services covers the cost of lynda.com access for the entire campus. All students, faculty, and staff with working winona.edu email addresses can create a lynda account and access the entire course library. To get started, you will need a lynda account. There are several reasons why you might use the lynda online learning service:
- Course or job requirement. Some instructors integrate lynda videos into their courses, assigning them to students as required or optional learning material. Some supervisors require or recommend lynda videos for staff training.
- DIY training and professional development. Use lynda videos to develop and sharpen your technology skills and answer your questions about specific applications, anywhere and anytime. Have a learning goal for the year? Use lynda videos and courses to help achieve it.
How to create a new lynda account
All WSU employees and students can create a lynda account, but the steps vary depending on where you are located:
How to change or reset your lynda password
If you want to change your password for lynda.com, go to the Profile section on the main page of lynda under your name in the upper right corner. If you forgot your password and need to reset it, use the Forgot Password link on the Sign In page.
How to login to lynda
- Always use your WSU email address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org) and the password you entered when you created your lynda account to login.
- On your laptop, use your favorite web browser to go to lynda.com http://lynda.com. Select Sign In in the upper right corner of the window.
- On your tablet or phone, install the lynda app, launch it, and sign in. It should remember your credentials so you don't need to enter them each time you launch the app. Learn more about the mobile app.
Using lynda on your mobile devices
Lynda has a great mobile app that you can install on your tablets and phones and use in conjunction with the browser-based version on your laptop. Watching lynda videos on your mobile devices is a great way to learn on the go.
Learning the basics
When you login to lynda for the first time, there are a couple ways that you can learn the basics of how to use the library and interact with a course on your own:
- Dive right in. Search the lynda library for a course that looks interesting to you. Open the course and start watching the videos. Play around with some of the video playback features, the notes feature, and other features to get a feeling for what they do and how they work. You should find the lynda interface to be pretty intuitive. Here are some courses suggested by our students. If you want to learn more about how to search for content in Lynda.com check this video out.
- Take a lynda course on how to use lynda. This is a great way to learn how to use some of the deeper features and functions. Two recommended courses are How to use lynda.com and Learning with lynda.com. Search for these courses and add them to your playlist if you wish. Always take note of the dates that courses were created. In some cases, newer features and functions of the tool you are learning about may not be covered.
- Contact TLT for assistance. If you have any questions about using lynda, just contact TLT (email@example.com, 507-457-5240 Option #3, Maxwell Hall 130)
Need technical help?
If you are having trouble logging in, playing videos, or any other technical problem with lynda, you can:
- Contact the Technical Support Center Technical Support Center (AskTech@winona.edu, 507-457-5240, Somsen Hall 207)
- Contact lynda.com directly at 1-(888)-335-9632, submit an online help ticket from their Contact Us page, or review their FAQ.
- Creating a new lynda account
- Lynda course suggestions
- Lynda on mobile devices
- Playing lynda videos on mobile devices
- Downloading and deleting lynda videos on mobile devices
- Lynda's description of their iPad and iPhone app
- Lynda's description of their app for Android tablets and phones
- Lynda's apps FAQ
- Searching the Lynda.com library
- Integrating Lynda into the curriculum