Review student multimedia assignments
Winona State University supports several tools instructors can use to gather and review student multimedia assignments, including student-created image, audio, and video files. Students can upload these files to our Kaltura MediaSpace media server and then share links to those files with their instructors and fellow students. They can also embed their MediaSpace files into Brightspace assignment folder submissions or discussion topic posts.
Student media publishing options
Brightspace is not a streaming media service. Although large image, audio, and video files can be uploaded to Brightspace, this is not a good practice and can increase the time it takes for instructors to download and review those files. Especially if they are off campus with a slower network connection. Small image files are fine, but large audio and video files should never be uploaded to Brightspace directly. Instead, they should be uploaded to MediaSpace and then linked to in Brightspace.
Kaltura MediaSpace is a fully-supported, cloud-based streaming media service that instructors and students can use to store, manage, and share image, audio, and video files. All Winona State University students and employees have their own, private MediaSpace accounts that they can access by browsing to https://mediaspace.minnstate.edu and using their StarID username and password to log in. Students can upload multimedia files to their MediaSpace accounts from their laptops or phones and share them with instructors in several ways. MediaSpace is integrated with Brightspace and Zoom.
From any activity that uses the Brightspace HTML Editor, students can search their MediaSpace media library from within Brightspace. They can also embed MediaSpace assets into the the editor. This includes Brightspace assignment folder submissions, discussion topic posts, and written response quiz questions.
All Zoom recordings stored in the cloud are copied to the meeting host's MediaSpace account automatically, assuming the host has logged in to MediaSpace at least once.
Currently, WSU does not support any other media storage and streaming services for the purpose of publishing student academic coursework, except in very specific cases (e.g., Mass Communication students learning about YouTube in a social media course). Instructors and students use these services at their own risk.
Student media sharing options
Once uploaded to their MediaSpace account, students can share access to their files with instructors in several ways:
Link to the MediaSpace media page
Students can share a link to the image, audio, or video file with instructors, who then use that link to browse to the file in the student's MediaSpace account and review it. Students could share the link with their instructors in several ways:
- Email it to an instructor directly
- Paste it into a Brightspace discussion topic post, allowing other students to review and discuss it
- Paste it into a Brightspace assignment folder submission that only the instructor and student can access
- Paste it into any other shared page on OneDrive, OneNote, or Teams
Embed the MediaSpace file into Brightspace
Students can use the Insert Stuff button in the Brightspace HTML Editor to browse their MediaSpace library and select and embed a media file from their account. They can do this in:
- Brightspace discussion topic posts
- Brightspace assignment folder submissions
- Brightspace Written Response quiz question in which the HTML Editor has been enabled
Add instructor as collaborator
Students can assign their instructors to have collaborator access to any of their MediaSpace files, allowing the instructors to access those files from their own MediaSpace accounts.
- What's MediaSpace and how do I access my account?
- Upload a media file to MediaSpace
- Use Kaltura Capture to record a video and upload it to MediaSpace
- Publish a MediaSpace file for shared access
- Paste a shared MediasSpace file link to a Brightspace discussion topic post
- Paste a shared MediaSpace file link to a Brightspace assignment folder
- Embed a MediaSpace file into a Brightspace discussion topic post
- Embed a MediaSpace file into a Brightspace assignment folder
- Adding a collaborator to a MediaSpace file
- Add an assignment folder to your Brightspace course
- Add a discussion forum and topic to your Brightspace course
- Review student multimedia assignments using a discussion topic
- Review student multimedia assignments using assignment folders
- Accessing MediaSpace files as a collaborator