Trouble using D2L in IE 11?
If you are experiencing problems using D2L in Internet Explorer 11, try adding it as a trusted site. If this does not work, try using a different browser (e.g., Firefox, Chrome). D2L and Microsoft are working to resolve these issues and we will keep you posted.
Getting a New Laptop and Tablet?
e-Warrior Self-Help Videos
Click here for a complete listing
Student's Top Questions
Important Information for Students: WSU Student Survival Guides
|Student Survival Guide
|This article is part of the
Student Survival Guide Series
These are guides provided by the E-Warrior Digital Life and Learning Program to help students find information that they need to get started and to use the technology offered by WSU.
Watch our instructional video!
Notability was developed for the iPad by Ginger Labs. Notability powerfully integrates handwriting, PDF documents, typing, recording, and organizing of notes. It allows you to freely share through the integration of many other tools such as Dropbox, Google Drive, Email, Twitter, printing and so much more. You can use this app to capture notes on PDF documents during class, workshops and other get togethers.
Many students here at Winona State will begin using their iPads for taking notes during class. Notability is the perfect app for that. You will find Notability to be easy for its functionality, note organization system, and ability to detect a stylus.
- Explore your ideas with words, photographs & sketches
- Iterate easily with your team
- Create insightful content to express your vision
- Learn something new by listening, reading and writing
- Synchronize notes with recordings
- Travel light and take your projects anywhere
- Organize information in a way that suits you
Geek Speak 101: VPN
About this Article
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. It is used to connect to the WSU network when you are off-campus. Students and Employees can use this software. Only WSU laptops can run this software.
Cisco AnyConnect VPN client
Using the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client software, you can connect a WSU laptop to the WSU network from off campus. This software is already installed on all WSU laptops. A VPN connection enables you to access select network resources as if you were on campus connected to our network directly. The data is encrypted to preserve security. This includes:
- Network storage drives (e.g., personal, class, departmental) Note: See instructions below to Map Network Drives
- KeyServer applications (e.g., Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat) These applications will require VPN to run off campus.
Find the Cisco AnyConnect VPN software on Your WSU Laptop
NOTE: You may see this error a couple times while trying to connect. Click on "Connect anyway".
On a PC (Windows 10)
- From the Windows Start Screen
- Use the Search icon
- Search for Cisco
- Select 'Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client'
- You will be prompted to Connect and login to WSU with your StarID and password.
On a PC (Windows 8.1)
- From the Windows Start Screen
- Search "Cisco"
- Select "Cisco VPN Client"
- Choose Connect in the menu below:
- Use your StarID and password to login
On a Mac
- Click on Spotlight in the upper right corner
- Type in "Cisco"
- Select "Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client"
- Connect to Tunnel.winona.edu
- Use your StarID and password when prompted to login
Fig 1. In the start menu, click this icon to go to your Network Drives.
Map Network Drives
Mapping network storage for Employees
You will need to manually map your Personal Network Storage also referred to as R: drive.
- Open File Explorer from the Taskbar
- Use the drop down arrow in the top menu for 'Map network drive' and select Map network drive
- Type the following in Folder: \\store\users\(your StarID)
- Select 'Reconnect at sign-in'
- Use the Finder
- Connect to Server
- Server address for Employees to get to personal storage: smb://store.winona.edu/users/your StarID
- Server address for Employees to get to department drive: smb://store.winona.edu/department
Map Network Drives Continued (for after August 8th)
If you want to connect to Personal Network or Department Network drives from off-campus, you will need to VPN and Map Network drives to access them.
Windows 8.1 & 10 PC
- Go to Start Screen and select the Tile Map Network Drive
- A script window will appear and your drives will be mapped
- Go to This PC to see the network drives mapped from the start menu (See Fig 1.)
Fig 2. Typical list of network connections on a MacBook
- In Finder, hold down <CommandKey> then hit the <K> key to bring up "Connect to Server"
- Mac users connect to one of the network locations listed in the Fig 2.
Knowledge Base News
- 12/11/13 - This year we have added many new articles and have received very positive feedback from the WSU community regarding our new and improved Technology Knowledge Base. Thank you everyone for your comments and contributions. Please continue to email any comments or suggestions that you have to us. We appreciate your feedback.
- 4/12/12 - Welcome to the new and improved Technology Knowledge Base at learn.winona.edu! After a year of pilot testing the MediaWiki tool, we established a production version of the knowledge base over the semester break and just finished moving all of our content from the testing site to this new, permanent site. We are still cleaning up a few things, but the new knowledge base is now open for business. Please email to let us know what you think.