Integrating Flipgrid with Brightspace
About this article
This article includes instructions for integrating the Flipgrid video chat tool with Brightspace. It is intended for instructors who are familiar with Brightspace and interested in using video chat to support learning activities.
Currently, there are two ways to access Flipgrid grids, topics, and videos from Brightspace:
- Link. Copy links to Flipgrid grids, topics, and videos and insert them into Brightspace courses as module topics or using the HTML Editor (e.g., in course pages, announcements, discussions). Choose whether to open the link within Brightspace or in another browser tab.
- Embed. Embed grids, topics, and videos into Brightspace course pages and other areas where the HTML Editor tool is used. The grid, topic, or video will be displayed immediately within Brightspace.
Experiment to determine what works best for your Flipgrid application. In some cases, you may want your students to open Flipgrid in another browser window to gain access to the full Flipgrid interface. In other cases, interacting with Flipgrid from within Brightspace will be a more usable, seamless experience for you and your students.
Use the following steps to copy a link to a grid, topic, or individual video and paste it into Brightspace:
- Use your favorite browser to navigate to the Educator sign-in page at https://admin.flipgrid.com
- Select Log in with Microsoft
- Enter your StarID username and password. Use the StarID@minnstate.edu format for your username.
- To copy the link to an entire grid: Select the Share button to the right of the grid.
- To copy a link to a topic within a grid: Open the grid by selecting it and then select the Share button to the right of the topic.
- To copy a link to an individual video within a topic: Open the topic by selecting it and then select the Share button to the right of that post. You can also open the post to view the video and then select the Share tab on the video playback window.
- Selecting Share always opens the same window from which you can choose how you want to share the grid, topic, or video. To copy the link to your clipboard, select the Copy button.
- To paste the link as a Brightspace topic: Go to Materials...Content. Select Upload/Create...Create a Link. Enter a title, paste the link, decide whether to open it as an External Resource (i.e., in a separate browser tab) and select Create.
- To paste the link in the Brightspace HTML Editor: Finally, paste the link into your Brightspace class. It could be added as a topic in a module or inserted anywhere the HTML Editor is used (e.g., announcement, discussion post, course page).
- When adding a link to a Flipgrid grid, topic, or video to Brightspace, you can choose not to open it in a separate browser tab. This will cause it to open within the Brightspace interface. When adding it as a topic in a module, do not check the Open as External Resource checkbox to force it to open within Brightspace. When adding it using the Insert Link button in the HTML Editor, select Whole Window or Same Frame.
- The Flipgrid embed code sets the width of the iFrame to 600px. You can change that to make the embedded grid, topic, or video better fit the space. Do this when you first embed it or later by selecting the HTML Source Editor button. If you are embedding a grid or topic on a page, a 1200px width will fill the page.