Create a pass fail grade item
Students are assessed as either successfully completing the assignment or not successfully completing the assignment. There is no letter grade or point value assigned to the assessment. The assessor selects either "Pass" or "Fail" from the menu to assess. Pass/Fail grades can be used to assess any assignment, discussion, or quiz but cannot be associated to the assessable item, so grade entry must be done in the grade book.
Instructions for creating pass/fail grade items
- On the navbar, click Grades.
- On the Manage Grades page, from the New button, click Item.
- Click Pass/Fail.
- In the General area, enter your grade item details.
- In the Grading area, do any of the following:
- Enter the Maximum Points.
- To allow users' grades to exceed the maximum points specified for the item, select the Can Exceed checkbox.
- Note: this selection only applies to the grade item. Can Exceed may need to be selected for the grade category also.
- To make the grade item a bonus, select the Bonus checkbox.
- To exclude the grade item from final grade calculation, select the Exclude from Final Grade Calculation checkbox.
- From the Grade Scheme drop-down list, select a grading scheme for your grade item.
- To attach a rubric to the grade item, click Add Rubric.
- In the Display Options area, do any of the following:
- Under Student View:
- To allow users to see the class average on the item, select the Display class average to users checkbox.
- To allow users to see a graph showing how grades are distributed between different percentiles, select the Display grade distribution to users checkbox.
- To allow graded users to view grade information for this item differently from other items in the grade book, select the Override display options for this item checkbox.
- Select Points, Grade scheme symbol, or Grade scheme color.
- Under Managing View:
- To view grade information for this item differently from other items in your grade book, select the Override display options for this item check box.
- Select either Points, Grade scheme symbol, or Grade scheme color.
- Under Student View:
- Click Save and Close.