Create a select box grade item
Select box grade items allow the teacher to select the appropriate grade value from a pulldown menu. This speeds up the assessment process by assigning the grade with a couple quick mouse clicks rather than typing in the grade.
Assessing with a select box grade item is a two-step process.
- Select boxes rely on grade values as defined within a grade scheme. A grade scheme is a preset list of values (like "A", "B", and "C") with associated numeric values. Creating this is a one-time operation.
- The select box grade item is configured to use the grade scheme from Step 1 as the contents of the dropdown menu.
Instructions for creating select box grade items
- On the navbar, click Grades.
- On the Manage Grades page, from the New button, click Item.
- Click Selectbox.
- In the General area, enter your grade item details.
- In the Grading area, do any of the following:
- Enter the Maximum Points.
- To allow users' grades to exceed the maximum points specified for the item, select the Can Exceed checkbox.
- Note: this selection only applies to the grade item. Can Exceed may need to be selected for the grade category also.
- To make the grade item a bonus, select the Bonus checkbox.
- To exclude the grade item from final grade calculation, select the Exclude from Final Grade Calculation checkbox.
- From the Grade Scheme drop-down list, select a grading scheme for your grade item.
- To attach a rubric to the grade item, click Add Rubric.
- In the Display Options area, do any of the following:
- Under Student View:
- To allow users to see the class average on the item, select the Display class average to users checkbox.
- To allow users to see a graph showing how grades are distributed between different percentiles, select the Display grade distribution to users checkbox.
- To allow graded users to view grade information for this item differently from other items in the grade book, select the Override display options for this item checkbox.
- Select Points, Grade scheme symbol, or Grade scheme color.
- Under Managing View:
- To view grade information for this item differently from other items in your grade book, select the Override display options for this item check box.
- Select either Points, Grade scheme symbol, or Grade scheme color.
- Under Student View:
- Click Save and Close.