Rethinking Your Instructional Use of Microsoft PowerPoint
- Level - Intermediate, experience using PowerPoint for instructional purposes required
- Audience - Instructors interested in improving their PowerPoint content to enhance learning
- Time - 50 minutes
- Register - Go to workshop registration site.
Before the Session
This session is hands-on, so please bring your laptop if possible. If you cannot bring a laptop, one will be provided for you.
WordPress is a free, open source blogging tool that people with access to the Web can use to express themselves, typically in writing, but increasingly using images, audio, and video. Aside from being free, the beauty of WordPress is its flexibility and ease of use. WSU has a local WordPress service designed to help you explore various applications (e.g., blogs, journals, portfolios) in your own courses. In this introductory workshop, you will get your own WordPress site on our campus system, learn its basic features and functions, create and publish your first "post," and discuss potential academic applications of the tool.
Following this session, you will be able to...
- List three potential instructional applications of a WordPress site
- Navigate and login to your own site
- Change your site's theme
- Add a Links widget to the sidebar of your site
- Create a new post
- Save a post in draft form and reopen that post later to continue editing
- Format post text (e.g., bold, underline, bullets)
- Insert links into posts
- Publish posts online for others to read
- Delete posts
- Moderate others' comments on your post
- Access your posts using an RSS feed
- Compare and contrast WordPress and Twitter