Spring Start Up
About this article
This article provides an overview of the training and support offered by TLT to help you get your spring 2016 semester off to a great start. It is intended for all Winona State faculty and staff.
This semester, on Thursday, January 7th from 1:00 to 3:00, TLT is teaming up with the Faculty Development Committee to offer a special "speed apping" event called Start the New Year With a New Tablet App designed to help you better leverage your tablet device. If you have a tablet and are interested in discovering new ways to use it, please register for this session and join us. There will be nine tables hosted by faculty, students, and TLT staff with great information and dozens of apps. Spend a little time at the tables you choose, have a cookie, and sign up to win an awesome tablet chair. Don't forget to register!
Training and support opportunities
Contact TLT (firstname.lastname@example.org) any time during the start of the spring semester for help with any instructional technology issue. TLT staff will be available online on Saturday, January 9th and Sunday, January 10th to help you with any last-minute questions. Send an email to email@example.com this weekend and someone will respond as soon as possible.
This knowledge base also includes numerous articles designed to allow you to help yourself as needed. The following articles are popular this time of year:
- Preparing for the first week of class
- Copying Brightspace courses
- Activating a Brightspace course
- Preparing your Top Hat courses
- Setting up your virtual meeting rooms
These online workshops are designed to address common questions as fast as possible. Simply use your favorite browser and login to our virtual eclinic at https://connect.shot.smsu.edu/tlteclinic as a guest at the specified time. No need to register, just hop in the virtual room. Here are is a list of upcoming 20-Minute eClinics:
- Copying Courses and Managing Dates in Brightspace: Tuesday, January 5th @ 10:00; Wednesday, January 6th @ 1:30; Friday, January 8th @ 11:30
- Communicating With Your Students Using Brightspace: Tuesday, January 12th @ 2:30; Wednesday, January 13th @ 9:30; Thursday, January 14th @ 10:30
- Setting Up Your Grade Book in Brightspace: Monday, January 18th @ 11:00; Tuesday, January 19th @ 11:00; Wednesday, January 20th @ 2:30
Do you learn better in a face-to-face, hands-on environment? These 1-hour workshops, facilitated by TLT staff, dive a bit deeper into some basic tools and methods commonly used at the start of an academic term. Here is a list of upcoming workshops. Please register for these workshops by visiting the WSU Professional Learning Opportunities site or selecting the desired date and time of the workshop below:
Up and Running with Brightspace
Up and Running with Top Hat
Brightspace Unleashed - Student Engagement
Brightspace Unleashed - Student Assessment
Lecture Capture Using Camtasia and MediaSpace
- Wednesday, January 13th @ 1:00 PM
- Thursday, January 14th @ 12:00 PM
- Tuesday, January 19th @ 12:00 PM
- Friday, January 22th @ 12:00 PM
Conducting Online Meetings Using Connect
- Wednesday, January 13th @ 3:00 PM
- Thursday, January 14th @ 11:00 AM
- Tuesday, January 19th @ 2:00 PM
- Friday, January 22nd @ 2:00 PM
Meet Your Classroom
If you would be interested in meeting with a TLT learning spaces support staff member in your classroom prior to your first class meeting to receive some training on the technology in the room, please contact TLT (firstname.lastname@example.org) to schedule an appointment.
New Faculty Open Lab
All TLT professional staff will be on hand on Friday, January 8th from 1:00 to 4:30 in Maxwell Hall 130 (the Professional Resource Center) to answer any and all questions from new faculty. Just drop by the center, no appointment necessary. No job is too big, no fee is too big. Just try and stump us.