Discussions in Brightspace courses
WSU instructors using Brightspace or those interested in using this instructional management system in the future.
The D2L Discussion tool allows faculty to promote asynchronous communication within a class or group within a class. This forum allows faculty to present curriculum and encourage online dialogue between and with everyone in the course or partitioned groups discussion board.
Steps For Creating Brightspace Discussion
1. Login to Brightspace and select the course in which you want create a Discussion.
2. Within the Communication menu select the Discussions link.
3. Select New button and choose New Forum. (Before you can create a discussion topic, you need to create a discussion forum to contain the topic.)
4. Name new forum and select the Save and Add Topic button. This will cause the new forum to be created as well as take you to the dialogs for creating a topic.
5. Under Topic Type, Open topic, everyone can access this topic and its content should be selected. This means that all students can read all responses in every thread. You can select Group or sections topic, ..." is you prefer to have a small-group-based discussion. This requires creating group assignments.
6. Title your topic for the forum, enter the discussion question in the Description box. If you want your students to post their reply before seeing other students' replies, scroll down and click the box that says Users must start a thread before they can read and reply to other threads.
7. Next you may want to set visibility of your topic. Just below the title of the topic is a series of tabs, click on Restrictions. Here you control when the topic is visible to your students in Brightspace.
8. Save and close your settings and your class can begin participating in the discussion.
Related Wiki Topics
No pages meet these criteria.
For a complete listing of topics, select from the category list below.