|REVISION IN PROGRESS: This article contains useful information, but is being revised to reflect recent updates. Direct questions to TLT (email@example.com).|
D2L Brightspace is Minnesota State's learning management system, available online to all students and employees. Brightspace course shells are created for every section of every course. Instructors can use their Brightspace courses to provide students with online access to class materials and activities. Brightspace can be used to support any course, regardless of delivery mode. Use your StarID credentials to sign in.
D2L Brightspace is what's known as a learning management system (LMS), an integrated suite of web-based tools that helps instructors deliver online resources and activities to their students, who can access them anytime via a web browser or the D2L Brightspace Pulse app on their phones. Many call it "D2L" but that's the company name. The name of the product is, "Brightspace." WSU creates a Brightspace starter course or course shell for every section of every class offered every term. Class rosters are automatically loaded into every course shell and updated automatically. Course shells are made available to instructors to use if they wish as soon as the course is available in our registration system, typically several months before the start of the upcoming term. WSU migrated to Brightspace from another LMS in January 2007. Today, most WSU instructors use Brightspace to support their courses each semester. Using Brightspace, instructors can:
- Communicate with their students using built-in email, chat, news, and discussion tools.
- Moderate online forums that allow their students to interact with one another around course-related topics.
- Provide feedback to their students using the built-in grade book, gather and comment on written assignments using online drop boxes, and deliver various high-stakes (e.g., exams) and low-stakes (e.g., practice quizzes, surveys) assessments online.
- Monitor other student performance indicators (e.g., whether or not a student has accessed a particular activity or resource) and intervene as needed.
- Publish course materials such as handouts, readings, links to external web resources, and multimedia in a well-organized table of contents available to students online through their web browsers on any of their networked devices.
- Copy course content and activities to other course shells and share them with other instructors.
- Decide to integrate all or some of these features into their courses, many of which can be used immediately with little to no customization.
- How do I sign in to Brightspace and find my courses?
- I am an instructor. How do I get started using Brightspace to support my courses?
- I am a student. How do I get started using Brightspace to engage in my courses?
- Is there a Brightspace app for my phone?
- How do I get technical help?
WSU Technology Knowledge Base
This WSU Technology Knowledge Base wiki contains over 200 articles for instructors and students, with updated, detailed information about Brightspace features and functions. A list of all Brightspace articles
- Contact TLT. Instructors can contact WSU Teaching, Learning, and Technology Services (TLT)) with any questions about using Brightspace to support your courses. Send an email (firstname.lastname@example.org), call 507-457-5240 Option 3, stop by Maxwell Hall 130 or the Digital Learning Commons desk in the Darrell W. Krueger Library, or join the TLT open virtual office in Zoom (https://minnstate.zoom.us/my/wsutlt) during core hours. You must be signed in to your Zoom client using your StarID to join the TLT Zoom office.
- The Minnesota State Help Desk. Submit a support ticket at
- LinkedIn Learning: There is a LinkedIn Learning course designed for instructors called Learning Brightspace.
- D2L's Community Site. Visit D2L's corporate community support site at
- Contact the DLC: WSU students can contact the Digital Learning Commons (DLC)) with any questions about using Brightspace to engage in your courses. Send an email (email@example.com), call 507-457-5240 Option 3, stop by the Digital Learning Commons desk in the Darrell W. Krueger Library, or join the DLC open virtual office in Zoom (https://minnstate.zoom.us/my/wsudlc) during core hours. You must be signed in to your Zoom client using your StarID to join the DLC Zoom office.
- Brightspace FAQ: Log into Brightspace. From the main Brightspace homepage, select Help. Then select FAQ to access answers to the most commonly asked student questions.