Draft:Workshops/Using Groups in D2L
- Level - Intermediate, basic experience with D2L required
- Audience - Instructors interested in using the Groups tool in D2L to support collaborative projects.
- Time - 50 minutes
Before the Session
This session is hands-on, so please bring your laptop or tablet if possible. If you cannot bring a laptop, one will be provided for you.
The D2L Groups tool allows instructors to assign students to as many different groups as required. Instructors can then designate course resources (e.g., content, discussion forums, dropboxes) for access by specific groups only. Groups can also be used for communication purposes (e.g., if instructors only want to send an email message to a particular group). The use of groups in D2L can facilitate communication across multiple, merged sections. It can also be used to support group projects, providing student groups with their own collaborative workspace in D2L and allowing instructors to better organize and manage collaborative work. Learn how to set up groups, assign students to groups, and enable group resources. Review examples of the effective use of the Groups tool.
Following this session, you will be able to...
- Create groups
- Assign students to groups
- Use groups to send email to students from D2L
- Restrict access to content based on group
- Add locker, discussion forum, and drop box tools for specific group categories
- View group resources from a student perspective
- Describe the differences between individual and group submission drop boxes