What is Software Center?
Software Center (also known as SCCM) is Winona State University's (WSU) Windows application management framework. SCCM stands for System Center Configuration Manager. Only WSU computers will see WSU's Software Center application. This applies to both Windows desktops, laptops, and any other Windows devices that WSU distributes to users.
What Should I Expect to See?
When Software Center has new software available, a standard notification may appear in the system tray at the lower-right of the screen.
Occasionally, not often, WSU will have to use Software Center to push updates that are time-sensitive, security-related, or that address other known problems. When or if these situations occur, the message notification may be more persistent.
How do I use Software Center?
To find Software Center on your WSU Windows computer, simply click your Start Menu at the lower-left of the screen and begin typing the words Software Center. Once you have it typed out, you should see something like this. Just click on it to begin.
How is Software Center Used?
Software Center offers self-service software installs and can deliver important updates directly to your WSU computer. All students, staff, and faculty members can use this tool by searching for Software Center in their Windows 11 start menu (lower-left hand corner) or by interacting with the Software Center icon in the system tray (lower-right hand corner).
Certain licensed software that was previously made available via the classic Windows Control Panel is now available from Software Center. This includes software from Zoom, JMP, SPSS, Microsoft, and more.
Simply click the icon then click install to get what you need, when you need it.
To install apps via Software Center, follow these steps.
- Open your Start Menu at the lower left of your screen.
- Type “Software Center” then click on Software Center when it appears.
- Click Applications at the top left of the Software Center window.
- From here, click the icon of the app you want to install.
- Once you hit install, the application will begin downloading then will install silently.
- Please be patient during this process!
- Application installs may take anywhere from 2-20 minutes, depending on the speed of your network and the size of the app you are downloading.