DLC Spring 2021 Class Projects/Penny Warner Video with Kaltura Capture
This project is designed to help students within Professor Warner's course to record components for your project. In this resource you will learn all about the tool we will be using Kaltura Capture to record and share your presentations in discussion board posts. The steps involved to complete your recording with Kaltura Capture are provided below.
Downloading Kaltura Capture
To access the Kaltura Capture you will need to follow the steps provided below.
- Use your favorite web browser to log into your MediaSpace account at mediaspace.minnstate.edu using your Star ID username and password. This will take you to your My Media page.
- Select Kaltura Capture from the Add New menu.
- Two options for downloading Kaltura Capture will be listed (PC and Mac) and after clicking on the appropriate version you will be asked to install the software vide setup wizard.
- Once you have installed the recorder, you will need to restart your browser and log back into MediaSpace and launch the Kaltura Capture recording tool.
Recording with Kaltura Capture
1.) Go to http://mediaspace.minnstate.edu/ and login with your STAR ID.
2.) Select Add New in the top right corner and select Kaltura Capture from the dropdown. This will launch the desktop recorder.
3.) The recorder displays 3 icons for recording options. Select the Screen icon to turn off the screen capture. This will record your web camera and audio-only. Next, select the Red Record Button to start the recording.
4.) Once launched, a small screen will appear and your camera will start. You will have a three-second countdown in the center of the screen, once the countdown is done, you are recording.
5.) If during your recording you need to pause, select the Pause button from the control panel. You can also select Cancel Recording and start over if needed. When you are done recording, select Stop Recording from the control panel
6.) This will stop the recording. Select the stop button again and select "Yes, stop it" from the pop-up.
7.) Next title your video and select Save & Upload. This will store the video in your MediaSpace account.
8.) Once the process is completed, you can select the link below your video to go into MediaSpace to view your recording. It may take a few minutes for your video to appear in MediaSpace. (If it has been more than 5 minutes and your video has not appeared in MediaSpace, try refreshing your page or logging back in.)
CaptureSpace Editing Tool
Once you are done with your video you may wish to edit out during your setup time or trim off content at the end of your recording. This video walks you though the process of utilizing the Editing Tool.
Sharing a MediaSpace Video Link to a Brightspace Assignment Submission Folders
When you upload media to your MediaSpace account, you have the option to select one of three file-sharing permission settings (see described in the section below) and for this process, you will need to have the video set to ether Unlisted or Published. It is recommended for most situations that these are set to Unlisted.
- Click on your name in MediaSpace and choose the My Media option.
- Choose the video from this list by clicking on the title of your video.
- Below the window of your video will be a tab called Share (see clip below A).
- The Link to Media Page will appear by default and you can copy the link to your video (B). You can now post this link wherever you wish to share and people will be taken to Mediaspace and allowed to play this content back.
- If you want to alter start or end playback a custom link will appear after checking the boxes (C) for the desired playback preferences in the Link to Media Page box (B).
- Go to the Assessments menu in the Brightspace course you would like to post your link to the video and choose the Assignment Submission Folder you would like to post your video link to.
- Within the Assignment Submission Folder, paste the link in theText Submission Box (see clip below) and click the Save button.
Addition Kaltura Capture Resources
- The following articles include more information about using MediaSpace tools:
- A quick tour of the My Media page
- How to upload files with the Media Upload tool
- How to create an interactive video quiz
- How to add closed captions to your recordings
- How to add MediaSpace recordings to Brightspace courses
- How to schedule media availability
- How to collaborate in MediaSpace
- How to build a playlist
- How to create and manage a channel
- How to tell whether people are playing your recordings
- Phone: 507-457-5167
- Email: email@example.com
- Office: Krueger Library #104
- Phone: 507-457-2206
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1:1 Support: Krueger Library #105