DLC Summer 2020 Class Projects/Amy Olson
This project is designed to help students within Professor Olson's courses record Zoom sessions and share videos via D2L Brightspace Discussions. In this resource, you will learn all about the process of recording in Zoom and embed your videos to a D2L BrightSpace Discussion.
Recording in Zoom Meetings
During your group work in Zoom, you will need to record your meetings. While there are two methods for recording (i.e. Recording to the Cloud and Record to Computer) for this class you will be uploading your recording to the cloud. All Zoom recordings stored in the cloud are copied to the meeting host's MediaSpace account automatically, assuming the host has logged in to MediaSpace at least once. If you have not here are directions for Accessing your MediaSpace Account.
To begin a recording...
- Click on the Record button in the toolbar on the bottom of the Zoom window.
- Select Record to the Cloud. This will store the recording in your MediaSpace account. This should be the default way you store videos. Not only does it save you the step of moving the video up manually, but it also keeps the videos from gobbling up precious hard drive space.
- Record changes to Pause/Stop Recording and serves as the controls for stopping the recording.
Sharing your screen
The Host for your group's meeting will need to configure the Zoom Meeting so that others can share their screen. The Meeting Host should go to the Advanced Sharing Options (see below) to set the "Who can share?" to All Participants.
Once the Host sets the Zoom Meeting to allow all to share, the following steps below explain how to share your screen:
- Click the Share Screen button located in your meeting controls (Fig 1).
- Select the screen you want to share (Fig 2). You can choose to share your entire desktop, an individual application that is running on your computer, or a whiteboard (i.e., a blank page with drawing tools)
- Check Share computer sound if you want any sound from your computer (e.g., audio from a YouTube clip) shared in the meeting.
- Check Optimize for full screen video clip if you will be sharing a video clip in full screen mode. Do not check this otherwise, as it may cause the shared screen to be blurry.
- Select Share. Zoom will automatically switch to full screen to optimize the shared screen view. To exit full-screen, select Exit Full Screen in the top-right corner or press the Esc key.
Video Camera and Microphone Features
- Select the camera in the lower left-hand corner of the screen to activate your video. Select the icon again to turn stop your video.
- To adjust any video settings select the drop-down next to the video icon.
- Select the microphone in the lower left-hand corner of the screen to activate your microphone. Select the icon again to mute.
- To select a different microphone or adjust your audio settings select the drop-down next to the microphone icon.
Embedding a Zoom video recording and uploading a Word doc into a D2L Brightspace Discussion Topic
Again, if you used Zoom If you have not already uploaded your video to MediaSpace you will need to do so. Go to Upload a media file to MediaSpace. Once your video is posted there and finished processing you can begin to post it to a Brightspace Discussion Topic.
- Go to the Discussion area of your Brightspace course and choose the Forum and Topic you would like to post your video link to.
- Within the Discussion post, select the Start a New Thread or Reply to Thread buttons depending on your instructors' directions.
- Title your thread (See #1 below) and click on the Insert Stuff button (See #2 below).
- A series of media tools will be on this page and you will choose the My Media (you may need to scroll down to see this).
- You should see all your videos load and can choose the one you are going to use by choosing the Select button and hit "Next" button in the lower-left corner. Note: If you do not see your videos you may have your browser blocking pop-ups to this site and need to adjust this setting.
- Click on the Insert button to the right of the video you wish to post.
- Add any text explanations to the window containing your video.
- Scroll down slightly and...
- If you see a header that says Add attachments, click the little right-facing arrow to the left of the name.
- If you see a header that reads Hide attachments, proceed to the next step.
- Click the Upload button and browse to the Word doc you wish to include with your submission. Select the file and click the Select button.
- Click the Post button and you are done.
Fixing audio problems in live meetings
If you can't hear others in the meeting and/or others can't hear you:
- Select the Chat button at the bottom of the meeting window and post a message indicating that you are having audio issues and are working on it
- Make sure the volume on your computer, phone, or tablet is turned up
- If you are using earbuds or a wired headset, make sure they are plugged in properly and any volume or mute controls on them are in the right position.
- If your laptop is connected to a docking station, plug your earbuds or headset into your laptop directly. Also try disconnecting your laptop from the docking station during the meeting.
- Make sure your microphone is not muted in the meeting session. Select the microphone button on at the bottom of your meeting screen to mute/un-mute your microphone
- Select the up arrow to the right of the microphone button at the bottom of the meeting window and select Test Speaker and Microphone from the menu (Fig 1). Select Yes if you can hear the ringtone. Select No to try another speaker on your list. Once you hear the ringtone, select Yes. This will move you to the microphone test. Say a few words and stop talking. Select Yes if you hear the replay. Select No if you don't and new microphone will be selected from your list. Talk again and stop. If you hear the replay, select Yes.
More info from the Zoom support site
- Additional information on recording to your computer is available at Local Recording.
- Additional information on recording to the cloud is available at Cloud Recording.
- Zoom Help Center
- Zoom training from Linkedin Learning
- From the Zoom Help Center:
Related Wiki Topics
- Protect your participants' identities in Zoom meetings
- Protect your identity in Zoom meetings
- Update your Zoom client
- Zoom Webinars
- Create recurring Zoom sessions
- Test Zoom
- Sign in to Zoom using guest credentials
- Sign in to Zoom using your StarID
- Install Zoom
- Using a document camera in a Zoom meeting
- Phone: 507-457-5167
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office: Krueger Library #104
- Phone: 507-457-2206
- Email: email@example.com
- 1:1 Support: Krueger Library #105