DLC Fall 2021 Class Projects/Kent Hansen
This project is designed to help students within Professor Hansen's course to download and use Kaltura Capture as you record video responses to Exam questions you answered incorrectly to receive partial credit for correctly answering the questions in your videos. In this resource you will learn all about the tool we will be using, Kaltura Capture, to record your screen, you, and audio responses to these questions and submit these to an assignment submission folder within D2L Brightspace. The steps involved to complete your recording with Kaltura Capture are provided below.
Downloading Kaltura Capture
To access the Kaltura Capture you will need to follow the steps provided below.
- Use your favorite web browser to log into your MediaSpace account at mediaspace.minnstate.edu using your Star ID username and password. This will take you to your My Media page.
- Select Kaltura Capture from the Add New menu.
- Two options for downloading Kaltura Capture will be listed (PC and Mac) and after clicking on the appropriate version you will be asked to install the software vide setup wizard.
- Once you have installed the recorder, you will need to exit out of the browser and then log back into MediaSpace using the link above. Finally, launch the Kaltura Capture recording tool
Recording and Editing in Kaltura Capture
The following directions explain how to deactivate the screen recording if you are not required to use this, select the webcam, and check your microphone.
1. Select Kaltura Capture icon on your desktop or applications/programs folder. This will launch the desktop recorder. (NOTE: If you have not used Kaltura Capture before you will have to download the recorder.
2. You can turn on and off the screen recorder by clicking on the Screen Record (1= off) button and it will turn gray and have a line through the icon as shone below. Next, click on this gray icon again it will activate the screen recorder when you hit the Record button. In the context menu below to the Screen button, you can select a specific screen if you have multiple monitors connected to your laptop.
3. The recorder will detect any cameras connected to your computer and show this in an image thumbnail.
4. If you are using a microphone other than your computers built-in device, you will need to select it from the list below the microphone icon.
5. Once you have the desired setting you can hit the red record button and the recorder will give you a 3...2...1 count down. Once recording you will have a recorder that gives you the time of your recording along with digital ink functionality for annotating on your screen (see clip below for an expanded view of this menu).
Note: During your recording, you are able to Pause the video. You can also Cancel the recording by clicking on the X in the recorder and start over if needed. When you are done recording, select Stop button (White box in the recorder) and you will be asked if you want to stop and you should select Yes, Stop it.
6. Next, you will see a preview window where you can playback your video, provide a descriptive title, save, and then select Save and Upload button. This step saves a copy of your video locally on your computer and a version is uploaded to your MediaSpace account.
7. Once the process is completed, you can select the link within the window and go into MediaSpace to view your recording. Do not copy this link to share your video. It is not the link to your recording. It may take a few minutes for your video to appear in MediaSpace. (If it has been more than 5 minutes and your video has not appeared in MediaSpace, try refreshing your page or logging back in.)
Embedding a MediaSpace video file to a Brightspace Assignment Submission Folder
If you have not already uploaded your video to MediaSpace you will need to do so. Go to Upload a media file to MediaSpace. Once your video is posted there and finished processing you can begin to post it to a Brightspace Assignment Submission Folder.
1. Go to the Assessments menu of your Brightspace course and choose the Assignments option.
2. Within the Assignments page, select the Assignment Submission Folder you want to embed your video.
3. Within the Assignment Submission Folder, click on the Insert Stuff button(2).
4. A series of media tools will be on this page and you will choose the My Media (you may need to scroll down to see this).
5. You should see all your videos load and can choose the one you are going to use by choosing the Select button and hit the "Next" button in the lower-left corner. Note:If you do not see your videos you may have your browser blocking pop-ups to this site and need to adjust this setting.
6. Click on the Insert button.
7. Click the Submit button and you are done.
Addition Kaltura Capture Resources
- The following articles include more information about using MediaSpace tools:
- A quick tour of the My Media page
- How to upload files with the Media Upload tool
- How to record videos with the Webcam Recording tool
- How to create an interactive video quiz
- How to add closed captions to your recordings
- How to trim your recordings
- How to add MediaSpace recordings to Brightspace courses
- How to schedule media availability
- How to collaborate in MediaSpace
- How to build a playlist
- How to create and manage a channel
- How to tell whether people are playing your recordings
CaptureSpace Trimming Tool
- Phone: 507-457-5167
- Email: email@example.com
- Office: Krueger Library #104
- Phone: 507-457-2206
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1:1 Support: Krueger Library #105