Brightspace Quiz Question Converter
Use the Brightspace Quiz Question Converter to create a new quiz, add questions to an existing quiz, or add questions to your Question Library by importing questions from a file (e.g., Microsoft Word). Copy and paste questions in text-only format into the tool to create a comma-separated value (CSV) file that can then be imported into the Quiz tool in a Brightspace course.
Brightspace has always allowed instructors to import quiz questions using a special CSV template, but the process of copying questions into this template (e.g., from Microsoft Word) is incredibly laborious. The Quiz Question Converter simplifies the creation of this CSV file. Once created, you can import the CSV file into your Brightspace course to:
- Create a new quiz
- Add questions to an existing quiz
- Add questions to your Question Library
Copying and pasting unformatted text
The Quiz Question Converter requires you to paste your quiz questions into the tool in text-only format. The standard copy-paste from Word will not work as it does not remove hidden formatting code. A simple solution is to use the standard copy command in Word to copy the questions to your clipboard and then hold down the following keys simultaneously to paste your questions in text-only format into the Quiz Question Converter:
- Shift+Ctrl+V on a PC
- Shift+Command+V on a Mac
Step 1. Create your CSV file
A. Format your quiz questions for import
- Assuming you created your quiz in Microsoft Word, first create a copy of your document so you don't alter your original quiz file.
- Open that copy of your quiz in Word and remove the title, instructions, and any other supporting information in the main body of the document. The document should just include the quiz questions.
- Browse to the Quiz Question Converter website and select the View Question Formatting Instructions link to review how to format your questions depending on the question type.
- Return to your Word file and format your questions accordingly.
- Save your file.
B. Paste your quiz questions
- From your formatted Word file, select all the questions you want to import and copy your selection to your clipboard.
- Open the Quiz Question Converter tool in your web browser and select the large text box.
- Paste the contents of your clipboard into the box by holding down the Shift+Ctrl+V keys (PC) or the Shift+Command+V keys (Mac) simultaneously. This will paste the contents of your clipboard in text-only format.
- Set the default point and difficulty values. These settings will be applied to all questions and can always be modified in Brightspace after import.
- Select Remove enumeration from answers if desired.
- Select the Convert button. This will open a window requiring you to save the CSV file quiz.csv. Rename the file if you wish, but do not change the file type (i.e., .csv). Choose a location for the file that you will remember.
Step 2. Import your CSV file
Once you have your CSV file, you can import it into your Brightspace course. Some instructions vary depending on where you want to import the questions:
A. Open Quizzes
- Open your course in D2L Brightspace.
- From the Assessments menu, select Quizzes.
B. Determine where to add your questions
Create a new Brightspace quiz
- Select the New Quiz button.
- Enter a name for the quiz and select the Save button.
- Select the Add/Edit Questions button.
Add questions to an existing Brightspace quiz
- Select the quiz from the list. It will open in Edit mode.
- Select the Add/Edit Questions button.
Add questions to your Brightspace Question Library
- Select the Question Library tab.
- Navigate to the section into which you want to import your questions.
C. Import your CSV file
- Select the Import button and select Upload a File.
- Drag and drop the Excel CSV file or click the Browse Files button to locate the file, select it, and select Open.
- Wait for the file to complete uploading.
- Select Review to review the questions if you wish. Select Import All. This will import your questions into Brightspace where you can edit them as needed.
- If you are working in a quiz, don't forget to select Save and Close.
- This is not specified in the formatting instructions on the Quiz Question Converter website, but every question in your Word doc must be separated by a single blank line. Do not separate answers (e.g., in multiple-choice questions). Some question types (e.g., written response) require an extra blank line, which is documented in the formatting instructions.
- When formatting your questions in Word for import, you do not need to remove the enumeration preceding question responses (e.g., in multiple-choice questions). The Quiz Question Converter includes an option for removing that enumeration for you automatically. If you do not select the Remove enumeration from answers checkbox when creating your CSV file, any enumeration will be imported as part of the answer text. This could be confusing if you apply enumeration in the Brightspace quiz directly or you randomize question responses when administering the quiz.
- Multi-Short Answer, Fill in the Blanks, Arithmetic, and Significant Figures question types are not supported by the Quiz Question Converter. You will need to add these types of questions manually in Brightspace.
- You cannot import instructions or section titles and descriptions. You will need to add these manually in Brightspace.
- Images cannot be imported using the Quiz Question Converter. You will need to add images to the questions in Brightspace after they are imported.
- Overall question feedback, answer feedback, and hints can be imported. Check the instructions on the Quiz Question Converter website.
- If you are looking for another way to import quiz questions into Brightspace, Minnesota State also supports the use of the Respondus Test Generator. Two benefits of this application is that you can create Brightspace quizzes while offline and you can print a well-formatted copy of a quiz. However, this tool is only available for use on a PC. There is no Mac version.
More wiki articles
No pages meet these criteria.
- The Minnesota State Brightspace Quiz Question Converter
- D2L's official documentation for the Brightspace Quiz Question Converter
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.