Configuring a Brightspace quiz to use Respondus LockDown Browser
About this article
This article provides instructions for teachers on how to configure Brightspace quizzes to use Respondus LockDown Browser (LDB).
LDB is a special web browser that can only be used to navigate to Brightspace for the purpose of taking a test or quiz. Within the Brightspace Quiz Tool, you can configure a quiz to require that students use LDB. When your students start an LDB-enabled quiz, LDB launches automatically and they will have limited access on their computer until they submit the quiz. LDB is designed for use in a proctored, classroom environment primarily, although it can be enabled for any quiz in any context.
Configuring a Brightspace quiz to use LDB
To set up a quiz in Brightspace that requires students to use LockDown Browser, follow these steps:
- Using a supported web browser, log into Brightspace as an instructor and open your course.
- Select Quizzes from the Assessments menu and select the Lockdown Browser tab (Fig 1) to go to the LDB Dashboard. If you see a page titled "About Lockdown Browser," just select the Continue to Lockdown Browser button. It may take a minute for your list of quizzes to load. Quizzes labeled with Required are already configured to require LDB. Quizzes labeled with Not Required don’t require LDB.
- To modify the settings for a specific quiz, select the down arrow to the left of the quiz title and select Settings (Fig 2). This expands the list of the LDB settings.
- Select Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam (Fig 3a). This further expands the LDB settings list.
- (Optional) If you want students to enter a password to access the quiz, enter the password in the space provided.
- (Optional) If you want to configure advanced settings, select the "+" icon to the left of the Advanced Settings heading (Fig 3b). This will expand the list of advanced settings. Select Require LockDown Browser to view feedback and results if you want students to only be able to access their quiz results using LDB.
- If you wish to use Respondus Monitor to record testing sessions or live proctoring through Zoom, select your preference under the Proctoring section. (Fig 3c) For more information on recording testing sessions, refer to the Respondus Monitor article.
- Select Save and Close (Fig 3d) to apply settings.
Several advanced settings are available:
- The first setting will prevent students from exiting the browser until the exam is completed. This is unselected by default. If you want LDB to function as it did before the upgrade, select this option.
- The second setting will allow students to take the exam with an iPad, using the free LockDown Browser app.
- The third setting will allow students to access specific websites or domains that you may reference in your quiz.
- The fourth and fifth settings allow instructors to provide students with a calculator or print function in the LockDown Browser toolbar.
- For additional information, select the [explain] link that follows each setting.
- Click Save and Close to apply settings.
IMPORTANT: When copying old quizzes from previous courses
If you want to continue to use LDB on a quiz copied from a previous course that you had already configured to use LDB, select Assessments from the Brightspace nabber, click on Quizzes from the dropdown menu, and select the LockDown Browser tab (FIg 1). Select the Fix It button if it appears next to the name of the quiz. The quiz will then be renamed, with the Requires Lockdown Browser added to the original name of the quiz.
Note: In some cases, a subset of the quizzes will not be listed on the LockDown Browser tab. If one or more of your quizzes do not appear in the LDB tab, follow these steps:
- Go to Assessments > Quizzes.
- Click the little arrow after the name of the missing quiz and select Edit from the fly-out menu.
- Go to the Submission Views tab.
- Click the name of the current Submission View. (If there are Additional Views in the window, the current view is the top one in the list. If there are no Additional Views, click on the name Default View.)
- Ensure there is some sort of message in the Message field. If the field is null, the quiz will not be listed in the LDB tab.
Related Wiki Topics
- Set quiz accommodations
- Proctor LockDown Browser quiz in Zoom
- Access external websites in LockDown Browser
- Manage Brightspace tests and quizzes
- Updating Quiz Attempts to Gradebook
- Respondus Monitor For Students
- Respondus Monitor
- Quizzes in Brightspace - Student View
- Quizzes in D2L Access Services
- Creating Random Section in Quizzes
Except where otherwise noted, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.