Draft:DLC Spring 2021 Class Projects/Ann Loth and Kim Dowat
This project is designed to help students within Professors Loth, Cutshall, and Dowat's course as a part of your week-long teaching assignment. Recording your lecture will be done with a tool call Kaltura Capture. This tool lets your record your computer screen presentation, video of the presenter(s), and audio of the presenter. In this resource you will learn all about the tool we will be using, Kaltura Capture, to record and share your presentations. You will also learn how to use the MediaSpace editor and share the ownership of your presentation into MediaSpace and share this with your instructor. Additional resources are provided to improve the quality and effectiveness of your video recordings.
Downloading Kaltura Capture
To access the Kaltura Capture you will need to follow the steps provided below.
- Use your favorite web browser to log into your MediaSpace account at mediaspace.minnstate.edu using your Star ID username and password. This will take you to your My Media page.
- Select Kaltura Capture from the Add New menu.
- Two options for downloading Kaltura Capture will be listed (PC and Mac) and after clicking on the appropriate version you will be asked to install the software vide setup wizard.
- Once you have installed the recorder, you will need to restart your browser and log back into MediaSpace and launch the Kaltura Capture recording tool.
What are the recording options?
Kaltura Capture can record from three separate input sources:
- Computer screen: You can record the entire screen or a portion of it. You have the option to highlight the cursor in the recorded video.
- Webcam: Use your webcam to include the talking head on the screen. You can place the head anywhere but the viewer can move it around during viewing. See Changing Kaltura Capture video layout for more information.
- Audio: Record with the system microphone or use an external mic.
Recording with Kaltura Capture
1. Go to http://mediaspace.minnstate.edu/ and login with your STAR ID.
2. Select Add New in the top right corner and select Kaltura Capture from the dropdown. This will launch the desktop recorder.
3. The recorder displays 3 icons for recording options. Select the Screen icon to turn off the screen capture. This will record your web camera and audio-only. Next, select the Red Record Button to start the recording.
4. Once launched, a small screen will appear and your camera will start. You will have a three-second countdown in the center of the screen, once the countdown is done, you are recording.
5. If during your recording you need to pause, select the Pause button from the control panel. You can also select Cancel Recording and start over if needed. When you are done recording, select Stop Recording from the control panel
6. This will stop the recording. Select the stop button again and select "Yes, stop it" from the pop-up.
7. Next title your video and select Save & Upload. This will store the video in your MediaSpace account.
8. Once the process is completed, you can select the link below your video to go into MediaSpace to view your recording. It may take a few minutes for your video to appear in MediaSpace. (If it has been more than 5 minutes and your video has not appeared in MediaSpace, try refreshing your page or logging back in.)
CaptureSpace Editing Tool
Once you are done with your video you may wish to edit out during your setup time or trim off content at the end of your recording. This video walks you though the process of utilizing the Editing Tool.
Sharing your MediaSpace Video
For your video lecture assignment, this semester needs to be officially Closed Captioned. To accomplish this, we will need to temporarily change the ownership of your videos in MediaSpace. The following directions walk you through this process so that it can be shared and Close Captured.
1. Log into MediaSpace at https://mediaspace.minnstate.edu with your StarID username and password. This will take you to your My Media page.
2. Select the recording to which you want to add collaborators. This will take you to that recording's media page.
3. Select Edit from the Actions menu.
4. Select the Collaboration tab (Fig 1).
5. Select the Change media owner button.
6. Enter the last name or Star ID username of the intended owner. A list will be displayed automatically. Please carefully pick your professor from the list. Their StarID username will appear in the Change Media Owner field (Fig 2).
7. Select the Save button.
- Currently, collaborators must be added one at a time on a file-by-file basis.
- You can make someone both a co-editor and a co-publisher.
- Remember, if you transfer ownership, you are no longer the owner of the file and will be unable to access it unless the new owner makes you a collaborator.
Addition Kaltura Capture Resources
- The following articles include more information about using MediaSpace tools:
- A quick tour of the My Media page
- How to adjust your recording settings
- Modifying the video title, adding a description, adding search tags, and more
- Adding hotspots to your recording
- How to create an interactive video quiz
- Uploading files to MediaSpace
- How to add MediaSpace recordings to Brightspace courses
- How to schedule media availability
- How to collaborate in MediaSpace
- How to build a playlist
- How to create and manage a channel
- How to tell whether people are playing your recordings
- Trimming recordings in MediaSpace
- Phone: 507-457-5167
- Email: email@example.com
- Office: Krueger Library #104
- Phone: 507-457-2206
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1:1 Support: Krueger Library #105
Katura offers a full Kaltura Capture User Guide in their knowledge base.